• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign share for review, update the link, deletes comments

Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document that I've shared for review. Reviewers commented, I made changes and I update the share link. 

It refreshes the document with the new version, but when it does that, it deletes all the comments! I need the unresolved comments to remain on the outstanding issues. 

1. How do I make it not do this?
2. How do I get my comments back?

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Comments have now been restored on all known impacted documents - 5618 in total. If your comments have not yet been restored, please reach out to me directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I actually watched the Comments disappear before my eyes!"

Hi Sarah,

perhaps a different issue?! Did you do a Save As to your document before this happened?

This would wipe the "Share For Review" panel and disconnect the document from the review in the web.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I did not Save As.

I opened the file, I was reading the comments, and they disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My files are mostly one and two pages, but there are several of them that have been going through review for several months and I've lost tons of comments. Is something wrong with the Creative Cloud that's causing it to hide comments? Can I recover my comments? I'm actually afraid to open any InDesign files right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @Sarah Bundy24253010otvx I've let them know in that thread that we've alerted Adobe employees for InDesign, and they are looking into the issue. These threads may be combined by a moderator so that everyone can stay updated. I also added 50 pages to my test document but so far, comments are being retained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, you're throwing out suggestions that have no connection to anything. Just guesses. An application change must have occurred at Adobe. Find out what it is and fix it. Quit drilling everyone and look at what your team has done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Define "the same InDesign document"

One project is a 52-page magazine. I did the initial layout, packaged the file, my co-worker opened that file and saved it as a 'new file', comments were working and on Monday morning comments disappeared. She thought it was just her and packaged the file. I opened the newly packaged file and saved it as a 'new file' and within hours the New comments on the New file disappeared. So I knew it wasn't just her. I searched the support community and saw the original post - so it wasn't just us. 

This morning, my coworker was working on a 20-page project and comments disappeared. I did not touch that project.

We each have a login and it is a company license for multiple users... 
The thing that appears in common is the cloud and the recency (just these past couple of days) - potentially the large number of pages. I don't know if geography is an issue as I don't know where the other users are posting from. My coworker and I are in Western Canada

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, you're the Adobe professional here, you shouldn't be throwing out guesses. Besides, nowhere does Adobe address workgroup licenses and multiple users of one account when it touts the online shared review process. Comments are disappearing when updating the link in InDesign. It used to work fine for everyone, and now it doesn't work for anyone. We can't all have different issues. We're all having the same issue in the same time period. An application/system change must have been made very recently at Adobe as it concerns InDesign and the online share and update link functions. You need to pinpoint the change, fix it, and issue a massive apology. We are major companies that relied on this functionality and its cost everyone time and productivity. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same thing happen to a document that had multiple comments on it too. I clicked "Update Link" and the updated document lost all the comments made last week by the review team. Is there a fix in process for this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently no. I spent hours yesterday evening working through the issue with the adobe support team, which I DO NOT RECOMMEND. The rep didn't sound like he had experience working with InDesign and said that the comments are supposed to disappear after you update the link. He took complete control of my desktop remotely, updated the link (after I asked him not to), and lost additional comments. So please avoid the adobe support team at all costs. 

To keep things moving forward, I exported the document as a pdf and shared that with the team, and going to try importing the comments manually to InDesign. This way, I can record all the resolved comments during our next meeting, should we need to reference them. I know it's a pain, but I can't think of another alternative. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"To keep things moving forward, I exported the document as a pdf and shared that with the team, and going to try importing the comments manually to InDesign."

Hi defaultyd6l9dcaecuo,

did you consider to use the other commenting workflow InDesign offers with the "PDF Comments" feature?

You could import the comments your clients did with Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro to the PDF Comments panel of InDesign. Details:

https://helpx.adobe.com/nz/indesign/using/import-pdf-comments.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem. How do we fix this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're sorry for the inconvenience caused. We're able to replicate the issue at our end. Our engineers are working to resolve this as soon as possible.

So stay tuned for updates, and thanks in advance for your patience.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post an update as soon as you have one available. Adobe Review is integral to our process and it's really inconvenient for it to break. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any update on this? Will comments be restored on document links where they disappeared? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't lost any more comments today, so that part seems to be better. Unfortunately, I haven't had any missing comments reappear. Has anyone gotten any of their missing comments back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. I haven't lost additional comments but I really hope I can get the other comments back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our engineers fixed the problem around 14:30 UTC on May 18 so updates are no longer causing loss of comments. It affected some users starting on May 16. We are now working on restoring comments for those affected. We very much apologize for the inconvenience and will keep you updated here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It's working now for my documents. How do we request help to get comments back on a specific document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We believe we are able to identify all impacted documents so it should not be necessary to make requests for specific documents. I will post when our process has been completed and at that point, please do speak up if you know of a document for which comments were not restored.

Once again, my apologies, and thank you for your patience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great news, thanks so much @adobekirk!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you are in there Adobe... it would be very helpful if you added the "I'm done" and deadlines and reminders features that you offer with commenting on a pdf when you upload it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature request recorded - thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for addressing the issue. I am still missing comments on a document – should I email someone about that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2022 May 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not necessary to email anyone yet, as recovery is still in progress on the remaining files. I will have another update in the coming days. Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines