Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign sizes don't match up to Photoshop sizes

Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I've run into this issue a number of times and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if it's some quirk with InDesign. Anyway, I laid out a 1000 px x 1000 px document in InDesign to upload to a website that has size restrictions. I can't get the site to take it - even though it tells me that the maximum dimensions are 3000 px x 3000 px. I was all set to reach out to the site's help and then it occurred to me that I've had this problem before. So I opened up the same document in Photoshop to check the dimensions and Photoshop is telling me that my document is 4167 px x 4167 px. I don't understand why this is. I set my dimension in InDesign, but then when I export the document as a JPEG and check the size in Photoshop it's never the size I laid it out to be.

Why is this and how can I correct for it?

If it helps, I'm using CS6 and I'm still a novice.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

You set up your ID document to work in pixels, right? OK.

When exporting, set the export resolution to 72 ppi and the exported file in Photoshop will have a matching pixel dimension (in ID a pixel equals 1/72"). Alternatively, export a PDF and open that PDF in Photoshop at 72 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You set up your ID document to work in pixels, right? OK.

When exporting, set the export resolution to 72 ppi and the exported file in Photoshop will have a matching pixel dimension (in ID a pixel equals 1/72"). Alternatively, export a PDF and open that PDF in Photoshop at 72 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I've been setting the ID doc up with pixels as my sizing and scale. I have however been exporting to JPEGS with 300 DPI. Is that where I'm picking up the extra pixels?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, that seemed to work. Thanks guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

For common Photoshop and InDesign workflows, take a look the following article: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/photoshop-assets-in-indesign.html

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines