• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign skill profiency test especially style sheets

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2024 Aug 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to replace a long time employee and need to come up with a test of some kind for InDesign, in particular books and heavy style sheet usage. I saw somewhere that Adobe has a standardized test for their applications but can't find it, anyone know? Also how would one test someone if they do not have a subscription on a home computer? 

TOPICS
Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone like @Barb Binder would probably know if there is such a test, and where it might be located.

I'd just suggest, from considerable experience on all sides of this equation, that ID skills may not be the make or break for the right replacement employee. It's easy enough to give someone an unformatted document and an ID template document and have them replicate a finished example, throwing a few mild curve balls into the mix to see if they can do more than point and click at styles. But overall, "books" and "styles" are not high-level skills.

A maxim that I have carved deeper and deeper into the granite as my career has progressed across a variety of situations is "The tool is not the task." I see far too many job listings that absolutely demand X years with this app and X more years with this process.... and while those are reasonable guidelines, all too often it means you miss highly qualified, highly desireable employees who just happened to take a different route to their current level of experience.

Here's my quirky example of that: How many people do you think there are, in the US alone, who qualify as "highly expert" with MS Word? And now... how many of them are successful writers, of any kind? I have permanent money on it being around 1000:1 or less.

Hiring someone who is at least familiar with ID is probably a good move. Filtering your selection too narrowly on ID expertise is probably not.

If you can't find anything packaged, I could help you develop that 'features and formatting' test.

┋┊ InDesign to Kindle (& EPUB): A Professional Guide, v3.1 ┊ (Amazon) ┊┋

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is the website for Adobe Certified Professionals:

https://certifiedprofessional.adobe.com/en/home

Scroll down about 3/4 the way to see the available tests, including ID.

Keep in mind that many of these tests and certifications don't strictly focus on long documentation in InDesign.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines