• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Table of Contents Resets to previous settings

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, I can't get the Table of Contents to keep the adjustments I make. I choose the headings, I assign a style to each, I choose OK and the TOC looks good. If I make an edit to one of the headings then select Update Table of Contents, it returns to the previous settings and I'm starting all over.

In order to dial in my TOC, I must continually choose the Headings and Styles over and over until I get the TOC right. The Update feature is worthless at this point. 

Am I missing something? I have updated to the most recent version. I've been working in InDesign for well over a decade, and this situation popped up out of nowhere in one of the recent releases.

Is there a new setting I need to adjust?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Saving to the IDML did not fix the problem, but I may have found a workaround.

I chose my TOC headings and styles, and then I saved the TOC settings as a Style. I chose OK, then I used the new TOC text box generated from that Style. I deleted the text box that housed the old TOC. I can now update the table, and the settings remain. 

I'm not sure if this was the best course, but it worked. 

If it hadn't, I had planned to create a new document, then drag the thumbnails from the old document to cre

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it only happen with one file, or with more than one file?

If only one file, there could be corruption in the file, and you might want to save the INDD file as IDML (File > Save As > InDesign CS4 or later [IDML]. Then reopen the IDML to possibly eliminate corruption.

If more than one file, you might want to try the troubleshooting technique of restoring your InDesign preferences:

Adobe InDesign: Rebuilding Preferences and Cache Files ...www.rockymountaintraining.com › Adobe InDe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's occurred on more than one file. Corruption is definintely a possibility, because some of these files were repurposed to create another. I'll try your first suggestion and hope that it works. I'm not anxious to try the other.

Thanks. I'll let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving to the IDML did not fix the problem, but I may have found a workaround.

I chose my TOC headings and styles, and then I saved the TOC settings as a Style. I chose OK, then I used the new TOC text box generated from that Style. I deleted the text box that housed the old TOC. I can now update the table, and the settings remain. 

I'm not sure if this was the best course, but it worked. 

If it hadn't, I had planned to create a new document, then drag the thumbnails from the old document to create a new document. That solution has worked in the past.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it's working. And if you change the settings in that style, be sure to save it again. Click "Save Style," choose your current Style name from the menu, and say yes when asked to overwrite. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I have a similar problem in updating the Table of Content whereby I add more info on it and once i hit okay, I dont see the info i added. Its really frustrating and Adobe should do something about it like adding an UPDATE option in the Table of Reference dialogue box because it doesnt make sense creating styles upon styles for one table of content. What if i had other tables of content like List of Tables or List of Figures? So for each of them I will be creating new styles (to update a particular table of content). This is not helpful to managing time. Please how can I solve this problem, would really appreciate some assistance 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always click on More Options. Always make a named style for each and any ToC. It helps ID remember how to update that particular ToC. It helps me to think of ToC styles as "presets". I have often requested the ID team to rename it as Presets to avoid the confusion of terming it styles of styles.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And it's essential to / easy to forget to save the style each time you make any changes to it. If you tweak something, the TOC comes out fine... until the next update, in which your tweaks have been lost.

Once you define a TOC style, update the save each time you change it!

And yes, 'style' is a misleading term for this feature.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines