• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign takes three minutes to load after every edit I make.

New Here ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in an Indesign file and after every edit I make it takes an incredibly long time to load. It is not saving automatically and has linked text across 16 pages. I am not sure if it's the linked text but I have worked in much larger files so I don't think it's an issue with the computer. The file I am working on is saved on a server, but I saved a copy of the file locally and ran into the same loading issues. I have also changed the settings to give me the fastest performance but that still hasn't solved the issue.

Does anyone have thoughts on what the problem could be?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nathan:

That certainly is not normal. Can you give us a little bit more information?

1. What version of InDesign are you running?
  2. What operating system are you running?
  3. How much free disk space do you have?
  4. Is it just one file or all files?
  5. Are you using a lot of GREP styles?
  6. Did it just start happening or has it been going on for a while?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I am running version 18.2.1

2. I am running on a Dell Latitude 5580 w/16gb Ram and a 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

3. I have 100+gbs of free space

4. It is happening with a few files from the same book.

5. There are a lot of GREP styles applied to the text but they are all pretty much the same style

6. This has been going on with the same file for a week now. It started after I copy and pasted some text into the document and added it to the linked text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, so maybe some corruption in the file? Let's start with saving the file, and then saving a copy of file as.idml (InDesign Markup Language). Close the original file and open the .idml file. Save it again as a regular .indd file but with unique name (not overwriting the original) as an .indd file. Does that straighten it out?

Here are some additional ideas to try. Note that if all fails, you can send the file to Adobe for review to idfile@adobe.com, shown at the bottom of the page. https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines