• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign template preset (new document dialog)

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know where on macOS template files are stored once a template is downloaded from the preset manager (via Adobe Stock)? I'd like to save my own template (actually, a lot of templates) that contains several parent pages, styles, etc. so that it works exactly like the template file shown that I was able to download within the new document window.

I realize the template shown in the image below was acquired through Adobe Stock, which downloaded an INDT file to my machine and will automatically prompt me to save 'Untitled-1.indd' as a new file. I can inspect my file newly saved INDD by choosing CMD+Click "About InDesign..." (Apple menu) and see the many saved histories from the original author of the INDT file.

Where is this preset file located within Finder? I simply want to drop my own INDT templates there so they show up in the new document dialog window.

I couldn't care less about the 35+ document presets available, that also show up in the various tabbed panes that only allow you to save margins, page size, etc. 

â€ƒ

Screen Shot 2024-01-18 at 2.53.29 PM.png

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Well, I suppose I was correct; there's no way to add indt files to the New Document dialog. I did find this feature request over at Uservoice, from 2017 when the New Document Dialog was actually new.  So you're not the only person who has thought that it would be a good idea to have additional templates, in the New Document dialog. Makes sense to me; I added my vote (even though I only use the Old New Document dialog, myself). 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Thanks, yeah, I use the old dialog as well but sent over a screenshot of the new dialog since that's how I felt was best to describe what I am hoping for by explaining with the Adobe Stock INDT example.

This would still be beneficial for users with the old dialog because in theory, these could still be loaded in File → Document Presets (or maybe File → Templates).

I looked at disabling my internet connection temporarily and can load the Adobe Stock template file so there's clearly a location or

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Document Presets > Define… New. To skip the New Document dialog, press Shift as you select a preset in the Document Preset menu. They can be saved, loaded, edited, shared, and stored anywhere on your drive, and they have a .dcst filename extension. If not saved by clicking the Save button, document presets are lost when you trash preferences.
Similarly, in the File > New Document window, you can click the Save Document Preset button (top right) allowing you to name the preset and click the Save Preset blue button. Thereafter, your new document preset is available in the Saved tab of the New Document dialog window. Go to the File > Document Presets dialog box to either save or load named presets. This is when they become .dcst files which can be saved anywhere.

Not sure about the downloaded templates from Adobe Stock.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I didn't make my OP clear.

I COULDN'T CARE ANY LESS ABOUT DOCUMENT PRESETS.

MY QUESTION ISN'T ABOUT DOCUMENT PRESETS.

My question is about template presets. Document presets do not contain paragraph styles besides the default "Basic Paragraph" style and also do not offer custom parent pages and example layouts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't. Document presets are not document templates. "Template presets" don't exist. 

If you have a document template - SomeFileName.indt - you start a new project based off of it by double-clicking on it in the Finder. Or, I suppose, by using File -> Open. That is, so far as I know, the only way to use a .indt file. There's no way to get that template into the Document Presets, which, as you already clearly know, only contain margins and bleed settings and the like. 

Edit: I see there's a new feature in the new file dialog that allows you to add templates directly from Adobe Stock, but I remain pretty confident that you can't take a .indt file you've downloaded and put it in there... I'll come back and post again if it turns out that I'm incorrect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I suppose I was correct; there's no way to add indt files to the New Document dialog. I did find this feature request over at Uservoice, from 2017 when the New Document Dialog was actually new.  So you're not the only person who has thought that it would be a good idea to have additional templates, in the New Document dialog. Makes sense to me; I added my vote (even though I only use the Old New Document dialog, myself). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, yeah, I use the old dialog as well but sent over a screenshot of the new dialog since that's how I felt was best to describe what I am hoping for by explaining with the Adobe Stock INDT example.

This would still be beneficial for users with the old dialog because in theory, these could still be loaded in File → Document Presets (or maybe File → Templates).

I looked at disabling my internet connection temporarily and can load the Adobe Stock template file so there's clearly a location or cache where this INDT is being stored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines