• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Thumbnails for explorer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this feature? Why isn´t Adobe delivering this simple feature as other software? This would be a great feature for user expierience and I guess, it would be that hard to fix. 

When I ask Adobe for this feature, they recommend me to use a third party app - I don´t want a third party app, I expect this from Adobe for a software that I am paying a lot of money!

So, please - anybody who is in charge, talk about this feature at your next meeting.

Dirk

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

You're replying to a FOUR YEAR OLD discussion! Previews work fine now.

Start a new discussion if you're having problems. I'm going to lock this to avoid any further confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Are you asking for thumbnails of the InDesign documents in Windows File Explorer? I think that's an OS issue, but you can go to Help > Submit Feature Request to report it to Adobe Staff. This is a user forum. In the meantime, try using Adobe Bridge, where you will see thumbnails.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you think it's so simple?
If you want previews, use Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, alas but true: it is simple. That's why there are third party applications which do precisely that.

They don't have to work hard: they all use the simple, basic fact that InDesign already by default stores thumbnails inside its own documents. All they have to do is look them up, once per file, and display them.

Showing per-file thumbnails is a basic feature of both Windows and Mac OS X, so that's not the problem either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're not already using it, give Bridge a try.  It transforms Windows from being unusable to usable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting a little carried away there, aren't we?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Showing per-file thumbnails is a basic feature of both Windows and Mac OS X...

By @Jongware

FRIENDLY OFF TOPIC FYI

For an FYI, macOS started with 1 and is now at 14.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Mac_OS#System_1,_2,_3_and_4

While v. 10 had a very long run, the last version of macOSX (aka macOS10) was macOS 10.15 Catalina, released in 2019. The current version is macOS15 Sonoma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS_version_history

Current versions of Photoshop won't work on macOSX.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats a (cursing removed) reason. If OSX has it now so should Windows users. Dont show a setting if it doesnt do anything on a certain OS.

Its ludacris we need to use an app to simply preview a document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're replying to a FOUR YEAR OLD discussion! Previews work fine now.

Start a new discussion if you're having problems. I'm going to lock this to avoid any further confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Third-party applications are a fact of life.

I use the FastPictureViewer Codec to make up for Micrsoft's and Adobe's, etc., etc., lack of concern about thumbnails. I originally purchased it for other reasons than thumbnails for Adobe products (mainly RAW thumbnails and some others). But it also extracts Adobe's thumbnails, including ID's.

At $10, I think it was worth it.

Capture_000396.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I export page 1 as a PNG file and let is serve as a side car file with the .indd document.  Sure, it's an extra file sitting around, but it gives you an image thumbnail. 

You may already know this, but you can copy and paste the file path into Bridge go right to where you are in Exploere or the Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poor - no offical statement from Adobe to that issue. Also poor the tips I got from the community. 
1. NO! it is not an OS-Issue, every "cheap" App is able to make thumbnails, e.g. Corel Draw

2. I submitted the feature to the Adobe Staff, using Request a Featur, after 4 month I got an officeal adobe answer, that I used the wrong forum.. this is ridiculous
3. Bridge sucks, crashes, has no good sharepoint access, and is slow

4. an no! I don´t have the ambition to save files also as a png

I am getting more and more disapointed by ADOBE, nobody really cares about Issues and the only thing Adobe is doing, publishing APPS nobody uses, please concentrate to the APPs peoble uses your service 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently swiched from CorelDRAW to Adobe, an the "No Thumbnails for explorer" drives me nuts.

Adobe seems to be trying to force us to use Bridge instead of Windows Explorer, but I'm not interested in using BR, I want to see my files directly in Explorer.

Please fix this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@user9085819 wrote:

Please fix this issue!

The volunteers in this forum cannot fix anything, as we do not work for Adobe.

What were the file types you were seeing icons for in Windows File Explorer? As I recall, DRAW uses .cdr by default. Read through this thread for instructions to submit a feature request to Adobe — see the first reply to the OP.

Jane

Forum volunteer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The good news is that now (4/21/2022) I can see INDD thumbnails in W Explorer in Win11. Maybe it's worth shouting out loud 🙂

indd thumbs.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not here, working on W11 too

Maybe it is a googledrive feature, or are the thumbs shown on your localdrive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded an ID file to a local driver, shut down Google Drive, but still see the INDD thumbnail. Google Drive and Windows File Manager collaboration is far from good, I wouldn't say it's better than the collaboration of Adobe and Windows, I have many problems when working directly from the cloud, from Drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indd thumbs 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sounds hopeful, maybe you have Verion of W11 or Adobe CC and I have to wait for the next update.

Anyway, it is a shame for Adobe, not really forcing this feature and make us all wait so long for this. It doesn´t really sound hard to code a thumbnail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update about that? I have the latest version of Windows 11 and Adobe InDesign, and I do not see any INDD preview in Windows Explorer.

This is very annoying:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pass, no idea. I still can see INDD thumbnails in W11 File ExplorerScreenshot indd.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hii sir, I am Using Adobe InDesign CC 2024Thumbnail preview it's not showing. Please solve my problem 🙏 sir. Thank you 

Screenshot_2023-11-24-16-17-44-50_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

 I want This type 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2024 Feb 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The good news is that now I can't see the indd thumbnails in the Windows file manager anymore. 😞 Microsoft or Adobe development....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines