• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign XML: Can we supply font info for a specific char or char-range?

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a job with many missing glyphs and we currently use InDesign script to search for GlyphID='0' (missing glyph number:0) and substitute differnt fonts. Likewise, script would try 3 to 5 substitute font untils it finds the Glyph availability on the specific font.

Instead of doing the InDesign way, is there other ways? can we push this to the XML side, so that XML preprocessor would have a font mapping list against the glyph range and product an output like:

<font name="STIX">β</font>
<font name="Symbol">𝜆</font>
<font name="Nato Sans">έ</font>

Does this have other impacts like char getting lost on pstyle override, etc?

Would be helpful if you throw some light on above xml solution? and would welcome other ideas, please?

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can kinda imagine the XSL transform you could use, but it'd be so much less effort to use a regular expression. All you need to do is figure out the Unicode range of the glyphs you'd like to replace, and then specify it like so:

[\x{0100}-\x{FFFF}]+

That's my typical document-global brute force "apply this to everything that isn't plain ASCII" query:

JoelCherney_0-1647448024566.png

I personally don't actually reccomend applying Noto Sans to everything, this is just an example.

Or I could specify a Greek character range and use it in a GREP Style in a Paragraph Style:

JoelCherney_0-1647448261759.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This sounds interest! Hope I can settle down with any of your solution. 

Thank you for the valuable information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines