I'm doing an index for a large book. I have made cross-references that begin with 'See also' Client has asked me to change them to 'see also' i.e. in lower case. I changed them using the custom option.
Now when I generate the index, I get the new lower case versions PLUS the old ones. I've no idea what to do to fix it. any ideas anyone? Is it a bug? The deadline is getting worryingly near!
I'm not having that issue. To edit the case, double click the See also XXX in the Index panel (on right). Then edit the Type on the left. Click OK. Update the Index.
That's exactly the way I've done it, and I haven't seen this before. This is what I'm getting:
I can't even think of a workaround. I can't just delete the unwanted ones, as this will be going off to different publishers and translators after we've finished with it.
I get the same result as Barb did. Can you show us a screenshot of the Index panel that shows both the 'See also' and the 'see also' cross-ref?
I'm afraid not. The deadline was today, and the only way to fix this was to go through every chapter, delete every cross-reference and put them all back in again. Both versions were in the Index list though. For some reason it's treating the corrected ones as new ones.
But I'm glad it's not just me!
Apologies for the delayed response. I'd recommend updating your app to the latest version & see if you get the similar behavior.
If you do, please share a small video of your workflow so that we can understand your concern better and assist you accordingly.
All apps are up to date.
Not really sure what you mean about the video. How do I do that, and how long is 'short'. These indexes take hours to do!
It;s an InDesign book with over 30 chapters in it.
Anything else I can provide you with?
Sorry about this trouble. I would request you to please confirm a few details like:
Also, I would request you to share a sample multi-page (3-5 long) document where you can reproduce the issue. Additionally, if possible, take screenshots or record a video of your workflow so it will be easy for us to understand the issue, and we can assist your accordingly.
For screen recording on windows, check out this help article (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/record-the-screen-d70508e8-25a3-4b97-b78a-a467b5372e21)
For screen recording on macOS, check out this help article (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208721).
I will be looking forward to your response.
Thanks & Regards,
This was a long time ago!
I have updates set to automatic and so will always have the latest version installed. The OS is 11.6.2 now. The client has since discontinued publishing books and therefore no longer needs my services.
That was the only time I was asked to change the cross-references after index generation so I can't say whether it would have affected any other documents.
I thought I'd explained quite clearly what the issue was, without filming it.
As I said at the time, I had to fix it by doing the whole thing again and so can't show you another example with both types of cross-references in it.
I'm quite disappointed that nobody gave this any urgency to be honest. I had no idea that anyone had replied to the comment I made above either.
All I can do is let you know if it happens again, which might be never.
I am really sorry to hear about your experience, @Terence5F91. Please feel free to reach out here or DM me if you run into this issue again or another issue or need any assistance in the future. I'd be happy to help.