Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InLine Footnotes

Participant ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Friends!

I know this has been asked before and it is on the feature request list, but I will try my luck anyway:

Footnotes one after another on one continuous line without a CRLF between each one.

Not:

1. This is FootNote number one.

2. This is Footnote number two/

BUT

1. This is Footnote number one. 2. This is footnote number two.

I know there is a third party tool, but no go for me:

Too much money. Strips the footnotes from the text frame. Too dangerous for me...

Does any genius have an easy solution ???

Thanks so much....

Susan

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Hi Susan,

if you want to maintain footnotes as footnotes, I mean InDesign footnotes and not just plain text, there still is no way*.

If you are willing to give up the InDesign footnotes and instead transform them to plain text, you could try a script by Peter Kahrel. What you are looking for are inline notes. Quoting Peter:

Various foot- and endnote tools

Peter Kahrel

Several scripts here to manage footnotes: convert footnotes to (dynamic) endnotes or margin notes; convert footnotes to column-

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Susan,

if you want to maintain footnotes as footnotes, I mean InDesign footnotes and not just plain text, there still is no way*.

If you are willing to give up the InDesign footnotes and instead transform them to plain text, you could try a script by Peter Kahrel. What you are looking for are inline notes. Quoting Peter:

Various foot- and endnote tools

Peter Kahrel

Several scripts here to manage footnotes: convert footnotes to (dynamic) endnotes or margin notes; convert footnotes to column-spanning footnotes; set footnotes in columns; inline notes; and managing the space between main text and ID's footnotes. …

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/footnotes.html

Details about the Inline Notes script, and please, read them all before doing anything with the script.

Again, quoting Peter Kahrel:

Inline footnotes

Peter Kahrel

It's not possible in InDesign to do inline footnotes, that is to say, to place two or more footnotes on the same line. But there's a simple workaround, for which you don't even need a script. To my knowledge, David Goodrich described it first in Typophile. …

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/footnote_inline.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

* PS: After reading Peter Kahrel's article about Inline Footnotes I have to correct that sentence.

There is a way. Even without scripting. Thanks, Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even I was facing issues with footnotes, i wanted footnotes next to each other and that too without script. I followed the footnote inline method given above and it worked like a charm  but only till Indesign CS6. In Indesign CC2021 that method does not work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, Susan, I had to correct my sentence that there is no way doing Inline Footnotes with InDesign and to maintain the footnotes as InDesign footnotes. See Peter Kahrel's article I linked to above.

( Sorry for confusing you. )

Reagards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Real Bummer... My doc looks absolutely terrible with each Fn starting as a new PP. I am aware of the solution you linked to (than you!) but if you change things around afterward you have to back and redo things. 

Anyone with inside info if this feature will be in the next edition of ID and when will that edition be available?

I PROMISE not to snitch...:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Susan,

if you want to be one of the first to be informed if that feature will make it into InDesign register with InDesign Prerelease.

Go to https://www.adobeprerelease.com/

See AVAILABLE PROGRAMS.

And of course: vote at InDesign UserVoice or open your personal campaign with a feature request.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Looked at latest release info. Nothing major. Buf fixes etc. They don't seem to really care very much for users over 20 years....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines