• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert lines/rules into a book

Explorer ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm formatting the interior pages of a 200-page book and need to insert blank lines into some of the pages. There will be some text, followed by a line or two for the reader to fill in. So it would look something like the simple examples below:

Your favorite color: ____________________________

Your favorite food: _____________________________

I'm using primary text flow boxes and I'm not sure how to accomplish this. For now, I've "cheated" by underlining a bunch of spaces, but the right side ends of the lines aren't lining up (the paragraphs are justified).

The book is meant to be written in, and the author wants the lines included.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

- Robert

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

I always do this with a right-align tab, with the leader dot set to an underscore. A right-indent tab would also work.

~Barb

tabs1.pngtabs2.pngtabs3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Instead of setting a right tabulator stop, I would recommend to work with shift-tab, which leads to the right eddge of the text frame.

It could be good to start the line with a tabulator and then shift-tabulator.

In the styles I would create a underline character style, in the paragraph style you can go to GREP and apply this character style to \y.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can try nested style

the rukle will be after (:) will apply special character style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always do this with a right-align tab, with the leader dot set to an underscore. A right-indent tab would also work.

~Barb

tabs1.pngtabs2.pngtabs3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Barb! I should have thought of that. I was able to get it to work in one section of the book, but having problems elsewhere with it. I don't work enough with tabs and leaders to be comfortable with it, but I'm sure I'll manage. Thanks again!

- Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of setting a right tabulator stop, I would recommend to work with shift-tab, which leads to the right eddge of the text frame.

It could be good to start the line with a tabulator and then shift-tabulator.

In the styles I would create a underline character style, in the paragraph style you can go to GREP and apply this character style to \y.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Seneca77:

Be sure to work with Type > Show Hidden Characters enabled and only add one tab character >> per line as per my first screen shot. If you get stuck, feel free to share a screen shot and we can help you troubleshoot.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Barb. I got it to work -- it was "operator error"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might have been mentioned already but I did this by setting up a paragraph style I named "notebook" and then just hit return where I wanted to apply it. The lines printed beautifully!

jainlemos_0-1621884994206.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jour solution is only valid, if no text is before the line. If text is needed, you would have to set up the paragraph style anyway. It might be difficult for beginners to get the same result in lines with and without text, if you need some with and some without text.

Another problem could appear, if someone is used to delete all multiple paragraphs, which should normally never be used, it might delete these multiple paragraphs inadvertly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right about that. Yes, this doesn't work if you need text and a notebook line on the same line. But if you need perfectly spaced notebook lines this is the ticket!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. I used the right leader tab method using an underscore as the leader and it's working perfectly.

As I'm new to book layouts, I'm sure I'll be back with new questions.

Thank you again to all!

- Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines