• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inserting new page reapplies parent item

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign file with spreads with parent applied to all pages.

Multiple items on parent page including text box for heading.

I override the heading text box on document pages to change the text.

Now I want to insert a single page to shift the existing pages forward by one page.

When I do this all of the following pages have another instance of the overridden heading text box applied behind the existing text box.

This only happens when adding a single page, not when adding a spread.

Am I missing something? Is this a bug or a feature?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I may have figured out why this is happening.

The parent has a left and right hand page. When I insert a single page the following pages shift forward one page and change form left to right hand pages and vice versa. Therefore any overridden items get reapplied.

Makes sense I suppose, but is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't override parent objects on pages.

Why do you need to change text from the parent page? What kind of text you want to insert on the page which is different from the master?

If you want to have pages without the parent object, create a new parent based on the first one, remove it there and apply it to the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a heading on each page which shares the same position and style. But it will say different things. Isn't that what parent pages are for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but it should never done via overrides. Put in the header or footer a text variable. Most common is a paragraph style based text variable. It is based on a paragraph style which is used on the page or the page before.

Another method is the use of sections. You have to start a section, write into the section marker the wanted text. On the header put in a section marker.

It is very important to separate content (page) and orientation (master/parent). For people with limited access (like blind people) text from the page is handled different than text from the master/parent. But if you override objects from the master/parent they are no longer orientation but content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You might want to do this with a blank frame on the parent page that you can override. At least in that case the new frame would be empty and be less of a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines