Exit

Installation from CS 5 Standard on my new Computer with Windows 11

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2024 Oct 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My questions:

Hello Adobe Community

My problem is the following: I had to buy a new PC with Windows 11, because my old PC cannot be upgraded to Windows 11.
I have now reinstalled all the programs, including the Creative Suite CS 5 Standard. The software was previously used on the old PC and on a laptop, but was never used at the same time.

After installing it on the new PC, I was able to log in and register without any problems. But the next day I was asked to log in and register again. But this no longer worked, a message came up saying that there was a timeout for the activation of CS 5. I tried several times, but it no longer worked.

How can I solve the problem? I have to produce my newspaper for our community on this PC, although only every 3 months, but it is therefore very important that it works again as soon as possible. I am grateful for any help you can give me. Let me know what I can do.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Werner

<Personal informaton removed by MOD>

TOPICS
Activation billing and install , Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 is dead. Activation Servers a not active any more since many years.mI doubt that your OS is compatible to that old version. You need to subscribe to CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Willi

Thank you for the tips and help. I was afraid that I would have to upgrade to the latest version. That's a lot of money for me, as I don't need the programs very often. But there won't be any other way, except that you can no longer buy the programs individually. I don't need 20 programs to work...

Kind regards

Werner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you confusing activation and registration?

As already pointed out, CS5 is not supported under Windows 11, but the first thing to know is whether you deactivate the software on the old machine. I do not think Adobe is giving out additional activations anymore so it's your responsibility to make sure you take care of this step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob

Thank you for the tips and help. I was afraid that I would have to upgrade to the latest version. That's a lot of money for me, as I don't need the programs very often. But there won't be any other way, except that you can no longer buy the programs individually. I don't need 20 programs to work...

Kind regards

Werner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to subscribe to 20 applications, you can subscribe to just InDesign for around $/£22 a month. You can download the seven day trial version to see how it runs on your system. You can pay a bit more and just subscribe by the month's you need to use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Derek

I'll ask Adobe, they should give me a suggestion for my requirements. I actually only work with InDesign and Photoshop. I still have a standalone version of Acrobat, which still works.

Thanks for the tip.

Regards
Werner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Photoshop you can get the Photography Plan, which includes Lightroom and costs around $£10 a month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2024 Oct 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to get just PS and Id (my situation also), which we have already bought, in my case, many times over, in the case of PS for me back since PS 3 and PS5, we have to rent packages that contain LR, and/or all sorts of assorted junk we don't want, but are still paying for. When we bought our CS outright, in my case, 1, 4, and 5, and in my case, do not need anything the new versions offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree on the subscriptions getting costly for a lot of things, but the Photography plan at $10/month is one of the great bargains out there. The positive for subscriptions is for part time users that only need InDesign or one of the other major apps a few times a year is to get a one month subscription and be done with it.

If you want a one time payment, then look at some of the alternatives out there. There are quite a few to choose from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you were able to install CS5 on your system and it appears to run, you might want to try overwriting the InDesign program folders with a copy of the folder from the old machine. That has been successful for me with CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day Peter
Thank you too for the tip, I will try this too and hope it works...

Regards
Werner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2024 Oct 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask, did it work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rokeby

No, I also switched to the Adobe CC programs for the fonts. There was no alternative for me, I sat down with the printer where I have my work printed and have now switched completely to Adobe CC. It is important to me that the fonts work and the workflow is secured for the next few years.

Now I just have to get used to the "new" programs, but I'll manage that...

Regards
Werner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it's kind of you to reply.  I don't need the modern version as I send pdfs to my printers. There's nothing in the new programmes post CS5 that I would use or want, and I do not want to lease programmes, especially where they may get updated on the whims of the suppliers (even when I updated to CS5 I lost a basic functionality in PS which I needed that's even there in the naffest freeware- the bility to 'print selection'- which saves time and ink and paper when doing print tests).

I feel a bit mugged. Well, a lot mugged, actually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(even when I updated to CS5 I lost a basic functionality in PS which I needed that's even there in the naffest freeware- the bility to 'print selection'- which saves time and ink and paper when doing print tests).

I feel a bit mugged. Well, a lot mugged, actually.

By @Rokeby Wilson

Not sure what is your workaround, but you could even save it as an Action:

select area you want to print, 

1) Ctrl+C, 

2) Ctrl+N, 

3) Enter, 

4) Ctrl+V.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That's a good suggestion! I will try it. If I can get CS to work on the new computer, anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear you were not successful in getting CS5 to run, and I know you've made the change to Creative Cloud, but could you answer one more question for me?

It's my understanding that the activation servers are no longer resetting so it is essential to deactivate any installations you wil be abandoning before you activate on a new device. Did you do that?

This is just to try to gather data to try to help others who may want to attempt to run CS5 on a newer OS as there is no support available other than advice from other users who have been successful or unsuccessful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We haven't found anything that works so far. I think it's appalling that Adobe have left us in the lurch like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your frustration but how long do you think is reasonable for a piece of software to be supported? CS5, IIRC was released in 2010-11 timeframe. That's the better part of 15 years that you've gotten out of that investment.

And FWIW, if every customer tried to hang on that long, software companies would go out of business. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I buy a licence, I think that shoud be it. I'm not a fool, I know a bit about software development, and I do appreciate the costs of maintaining servers. I'd have been happy to pay a reasonable fee for re-registration to ensure on Adobe's part that I didn't use more licences than I originally paid for. Possibly this could even have been done by selling dongles to us, linked to our original registration codes. But I was not given any choice in the matter. I don't think I ought to be forced to pay a large sum every year forever for an upgrade I neither need nor want and which doesn't serve my needs as well as the packages I bought outright. It's not like I was getting continual upgrades during those years as I do with my OS- which cost a lot less. I paid for the decvelopment of the software I have when I bought it. It does what I want. I ought not to have to pay for the development of software I neither need nor want. I see from the web "The Creative Suite packages were pulled from Adobe's online store in 2013, but were still available on their website until January 2017." So for those with CS, some of them may have bought theirs as recently as 7 years ago. That's not very perpetual, is it? No doubt some users will want the updated versions, but surely they should pay for that development, and not me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing that would have been available for sale was CS6. You're talking about CS5. Sales of that ended when CS5.5 was launched in 2011. 

Again, I get it, but you're not only dealing with 15 year old software, you're trying to run it on a new operating system. I have my beefs with Adobe...plenty of them...but not supporting 15 year old software is not among them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2024 Oct 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The programme runs fine on the new OS. The only thing missing is the permission to run it. I have managed to get a very old version of PS working. Acrobat Pro I can manage without. Leaving me with just ID to rent. But on the suggestion of the software writers I live with, who, incidentally, argree with me about the activation issues, and having taken a step back and put my economist's hat on and embraced the notion of sunk cost, I have re-evaluated Adobe software compared to newer entrants to the market. Sadly, it looks like I'll be saying goodbye. Leaving aside the activation issues, adobe has gone in the wrong direction for me. I don't use the cloud, object morally to AI when it comes to images and text, the payment model does not work for me as a self-employed artist, and technical reviews suggest that even the new version of ID would just annoy the heck out of me. If I was starting afresh now, on the technical reviews, I'd not choose Adobe. Adobe has just moved away from my 'lttle person' end of the market. I'm sure it's great for large companies who need group access to files and AI and all that stuff, but I don't want to have to keep paying again and again for developments they need but which I don't use. Other products are now more aligned with my needs. Ironically, it also seems I'd have more of a learning curve with the newer Adobe programmes than with the competition.  I have nothing to lose by trying out the competition's offering, which would get me the complete up-to-date suite I need at one-off cost of about two month's worth of subs to Adobe for the same programmes. I'll be very sad if I ultimately decide to leave, as I learned to use a computer with a very early version of PS, but things move on, and sentiment has no place in business decisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2024 Oct 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may come as a bit of a surprise, but I happen to agree with you, especially your last point. Adobe's chosen business model is what it is. Other software developers have entered the space with some very good products.

I won't get into them here and compared to current versions of Adobe software they may be lacking in some features but compared to CS5 they are far more advanced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2024 Oct 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do accept that every company has to decide where its customer base is and then adjust its policies accordingly, so I'm not surprised really, and I think we broadly agree on things. I have/had been in one work association since the 1990s, and for a long time was a senior member, but I was continually frustrated that it flipped its policies around all the time because it refused to bite the bullet and decide whether it was going to prioritise its professional members, or its beginners/amateurs, or be a professional association but also with a specific teaching commitment to bring on new members (the third beinng my preferred option). Whilst not deciding what it was for, it veered about all over the place and failed both sections of itself. In the end I gave up and left. Adobe has made a pragmatic business decision to go for the big studio end of the market. It seems to be doing well with that, and good luck to it. But that does mean that I'm no longer their target consumer, so I've just downloaded the affinity trial.  Best wishes, Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines