• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive buttons not working when exporting to PDF

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2011 Aug 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying all morning to get buttons to work in my PDF. I make an object a button and then give it some actions but when I export to PDF I get a message saying that the Go To actions have been disabled. This is so simple. Why is it not working?

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE !!!

1.  Make a Bookmark for each page in the document using the Bookmarks window.

2. Use the "Go To Destination" action under Buttons and Forms. This then shows a dropdown for Destinations and shows all the Bookmarks you make.  Select the page book mark you want per button.

Go To Destination.jpg

3.  In this window you can also set you button states.

4.  Export as interactive and the PDF will work perfectly.

Here is an example that has a button at the bottom of each page for easy navigation through t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First tell us what operating system you're using and what version of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 10.6.8 and CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CS5 you must export to PDF (interactive) to preserve button functionality...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I did. I exported it an interactive. This is why it's driving me nuts. It gives me that error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try restoring your preferences:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

If that doesn't work, try resaving your file as an IDML and reopen the IDML:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/526991

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2011 Aug 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the same message. Here is what I get when I export and Interactive PDF.

The Go To Page button action is not supported in PDF. The button appearance will be preserved, but its interactivity will be dropped.

Am I exporting wrong? I just Export from File in the Menu bar and choose Adobe PDF (Interactive). This is driving me nuts!!!!

UPDATE: Using Hyperlink works but buttons do not. I really need a button so I can make a Go To Next or Previous page action. Is there a way to make a Go To Next Page or Previous Page with a Hyperlink?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign CS5, create a button (or used one from the Sample Buttons library found on the Buttons panel flyout menu).

Click the + sign beside Actions:

Look at the list of possible actions: The ones listed at the top work with both PDF and SWF files. They include Go to First Page, Go Next Page, Go to Previous Page, Go to Last Page.

If you want to make a button take you to some other page, you need to create a hyperlink destination on that page. Then it will become available when you choose Go to Destination. As I said these all work with either PDF or SWF export.

Below those choices are four actions which only work with SWF files, including Go to Page (that's why they are headed "SWF")

Below those chose are four actions which only work with PDF files (that's why they're headed "PDF")

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I guess I'm not explaining myself well. I know how to make a button but when I export the PDF I get the error I've mentioned. All I need to to do are make next and previous page buttons but InDesign keeps disabling them. Give it a try. I'm not using the SWF actions. I am using the first set of action in the Pull Down menu in the Buttons window. See if it works for you. Make a button give it the Go To Next Page action, export it to Interactive PDF and see if it works. It's not working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it to work! I made the images hyperlinks first then I made it a button with the Go To Next View action. Still didn't work. So then I trashed my prefs again. Nothing! Finally I changed my action to Go To Next Page and it worked! I don't know which one of the actions finally made that action work but it did. Thank you for all your suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have the same problem.

next/previeous works, but any other go to command doesn't...:(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Go to Page buttons only work in Epub, not PDF. To me, it seems ridiculous to me that Adobe hasn't integrated every single function of INDD PDF creation into their own platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by “their own platform?” Adobe turned over the PDF format years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2016 Jan 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I mean is it's "from" Adobe, but InDD fails to work and give full functionality when exporting to Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2016 Jan 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is constrained in what it can include in a PDF file. It follows an international specification now which was developed many years ago. The PDF format doesn't have the capabilities of more recent developments like Fixed Layout EPUB and Publish Online.

To make it worse, there are hundreds of PDF readers. Many of them (even Apple Preview or the Adobe Reader for mobile devices) don't display or interact with all of the features, including interactivity which InDesign and Acrobat can include.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the go to page command only works with .epud

dont even try to export as interactive pdf if you want to use this command

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue. Didn't have any luck with the hyperlink solution (and the hyperlink destination appeared to refer to my own desktop etc so may not have worked elsewhere).
I solved it by working within Acrobat (on the finished PDF) and using the 'Go to View' button action. This prompts you to choose a page as well as a zoom level then set the 'link'.

Pity this can't be set in InDesign though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2016 May 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you make each of the pages into a hyperlink destination using the Hyperlink palette, you can then use "go to destination" instead of "go to page" and select one of the destinations you've just created. This worked fine when exported to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 14, 2016 Nov 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured I would respond to this since I found a solution.  Rachela is right and you can use "Go To Destination", but instead of using a Hyperlink, go to each page and make a bookmark for each page (a bit annoying) but this works to make the PDF advance to the correct page that you named in your bookmarks, just like the "Go To Page" should work.  Then, export as Interactive and it's all good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. I'm using InDesign on the Creative Cloud.

Buttons not working when I export as an interactive PDF.

Oddly enough, when I use the "Publish online" option, they do work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are these button supposed to be doing? How are you testing the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're supposed to be nav buttons for slideshows I'm creating. I'm testing the PDF by viewing it in Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of slideshow? If you used a multi state object, that is not supported in PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that answers my question. I DID use a multi state object. What's the workaround? Make each slide a button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround, IMO, is to not use PDF for something like that.

http://boblevine.us/its-okay-to-say-no-to-interactive-pdf/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines