• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDF button appearance - invisible/visible rectangle

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several buttons in a PDF that are currently showing a visible rectangle on mouse release. I would like to change this to INVISIBLE rectangle. 

1. Is there a button setting in InDesign, or something that I'm missing, that will allow me to specify this? I've set my hyperlinks to appear as invisible rectangle but can't figure out how to do this for buttons.

2. It would be ideal to set this up in inDesign, but if that's not possible, is there a setting in Acrobat that will allow me to change the appearance (of buttons - I know how to do it for links)? I found the "Appearance" tab, under button properties, in the Form workspace...but there's nothing there to edit that setting like there is for links.

When I change the event to "on click", there's no visible rectangle. But I would prefer to use 'on release'.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Thank you - that's good to know. I'm just confused as to why the rectangle does NOT show when I change the event to "on click" in InDesign.

Because it's not exactly that same "rectangle" that you'd control with those settings.

It depends on the OS and application in use, but open a web browser, load a page that includes hyperlinks, and just start pressing the Tab key. With each tap of Tab you'll see the "field focus" system caret advance through the available interactive elements in the o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you could record whats happening so we can see and offer better advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Button 1 shows "visible rectangle" on mouse release. Button 2 is how I would like it to appear - no change on mouse release. Can this be controlled via InDesign or Acrobat? Acrobat's "invisible rectangle" option available for links (image 2) doesn't seem to be available for buttons.

Thanks!

Buttons.png

 

Buttons2.png

 

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not clear in the image, but that's a dotted line (not part of my button).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an OS-based system-focus manifestation, and you can't control it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - that's good to know. I'm just confused as to why the rectangle does NOT show when I change the event to "on click" in InDesign. I thought maybe it was because the button function (go to next page) happens before mouse release, so you just don't see the rectangle. But the rectangle actually appears (for button 1) as soon as the mouse is clicked (on mousedown)...so I would expect to see it for both "on release" and "on click". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you - that's good to know. I'm just confused as to why the rectangle does NOT show when I change the event to "on click" in InDesign.

Because it's not exactly that same "rectangle" that you'd control with those settings.

It depends on the OS and application in use, but open a web browser, load a page that includes hyperlinks, and just start pressing the Tab key. With each tap of Tab you'll see the "field focus" system caret advance through the available interactive elements in the order they were created, or an order set by the developer. An interactive PDF page works the same way, and I believe that's the rectangle you're seeing; not the "visible rectangle/invisible rectangle" referenced in InDesign's Field Properties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the objects you're using to make buttons contain a fill or stroke? If that is the case then they will certainly show up when they are clicked on. A button made with no fill and no stroke will only actually be findable when the mouse rolls over it and the active link "hand" appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want my advice, find another way to do this. Buttons in PDFs are wonky as hell and that's true even in Acrobat. In other PDF readers they are nothing short of a crapshoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines