• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDF Export is shown in Adobe Acrobat in CMYK, in MAC Preview in RGB. Why?

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community, 

I created a document, all color swatches are set in RGB. I export it as an Interactive PDF. When I open it it MAC Preview, the purple looks good. But when I open it in Adobe Acrobat, it looks like it has choosen CMYK. 

Does someone know where this is comming from? 

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

If you open an Interactive PDF in AcrobatPro your Page Display Use Overprint Preview Preference would affect the intial view:

Screen Shot 12.pngScreen Shot 13.png

With Output Preview open Preview>Separations doesn’t tell you what the object’s color space is, it simply uses the selected Simulation Profile to simulate an output. You can switch to Object Inspector, click on an object, and get the object’s actual color space. With Interactive Exports all color exports as profiled sRGB, so to simulate typical web browser output I h

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, We need a bit more information to help you:

• Can you confirm the exact version of your operating system and software
  • What software did you use to create the document before exporting it to PDF (InDesign?)
  • What export settings did you use?
  • In Acrobat, with your document opened, open the 'output preview' panel, move your corsor to hover the design. What inks are listed?
  • Finally, in PhotoShop (for example) what display setting have you selected for Edit > Colour Settings. Your display might not be told the 'correct way' to show colours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

• I work with Mac Sonoma 14.1.1 and InDesign 19.1
  • I exported it as Export > Adobe PDF (Interactive) > Standard Settings (see attached)
  • When i open Output Preview, it's indeed wild that there is written CMYK (see attached). I can put the Simulation profile to for example Apple RGB, then the document looks right. 
  • When I open my exported PDF in Photoshop, it looks the right way. (As in other PDF readers)

Does this help you? 

Is it maybe only my preview in Adobe Acrobat? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sonoma is now at 14.3 and InDesign at 19.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open an Interactive PDF in AcrobatPro your Page Display Use Overprint Preview Preference would affect the intial view:

Screen Shot 12.pngScreen Shot 13.png

With Output Preview open Preview>Separations doesn’t tell you what the object’s color space is, it simply uses the selected Simulation Profile to simulate an output. You can switch to Object Inspector, click on an object, and get the object’s actual color space. With Interactive Exports all color exports as profiled sRGB, so to simulate typical web browser output I have to set the Simulation profile to the matching sRGB color space:

Screen Shot 14.pngScreen Shot 15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, that's it! Thank you very much for taking the time & helping me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jan_Asks_The_World , Make sure your Transparency Blend Space is set to Document RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob, Transparancey Blend Space is Set to Document RGB. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Acrobat simulation profile on the Output preview tool will show the existing colors converted to the selected profile, In addition to Rob's good information above, another way to determine if the colors are actually rgb, cmyk or a spot color, click on the "Show" button. I believe a pdf exported from InDesign as Adobe PDF (Interactive) will convert all colors to rgb only, (although an interactive pdf can contain other colors).

Rob, I cannot duplicate the Acrobat overprint preview preference issue you are seeing, I am using Acrobat version 2023.008.20533.

If you are still having issues, can you upload a sample pdf here? You might need to update or re-install Acrobat, when you see the question about replacing your preferences, say yes (although this will remove any custom preflight profiles or Actions, so export them first, then re-import).

I suggest keeping the Acrobat and Reader overprint preview preference set to "Always".

output preview show.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob, I cannot duplicate the Acrobat overprint preview preference issue you are seeing, I am using Acrobat version 2023.008.20533.

Hi Luke, Just to clarify I’m referring to Preferences>Page Display>Use Overprint Preview and not Output Preview’s Simulate Overprinting. Can you show a capture of your Page Display Preference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached. I'm wondering if the lack of rgb display when the overprint preview preference is "Always" was an Acrobat bug that has been fixed in the latest version, what version of Acrobat are you using? 

Overrprint preview- Always.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.1.20112.0—my production OS is Mojave so I don’t think I can get 2023. Acrobat reader does the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks, perhaps someone else can check this in the latest version. I just updated to Acrobat 2023.008.20555 and rgb still displays correctly with the preference set to "Always". 

Jan, which version of Acrobat are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t see it as a bug, I expect Overprint Preview to work the same as it does in InDesign—RGB colors display in the document CMYK space when Overprint/Separation Preview is turned on—RGB colors don’t overprint:

Screen Shot 23.pngScreen Shot 24.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you are correct, however, I think rgb should display as rgb, regardless of the overprint preference, which is what I'm seeing in the current version of Acrobat & Reader. I have posted a request for confirmation in the Acrobat forum to see if other users are seeing what I see. The Overprint Preview preference "never" should probably not be used to check pdfs which will eventually be printed, IMHO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked the latest version on Ventura and the Preference is working the same for me—I have to close the Preferences dialog in order to see the effect of the selection:

Screen Shot 8.png

Screen Shot 9.png

I think you could argue that the name Overprint Preview is misleading, but it has always soft proofed RGB color as Document CMYK in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2024 Feb 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jan, apologies for hijacking your thread.

Rob, after some testing, I determined the InDesign file I was using was the cause of my issue, I could not pinpoint the cause. I posted some additional information and attached a pdf and InDesign file in the Acrobat forum, if you are interested.

Thanks and best wishes.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/use-overprint-preview-acrobat-amp-reader-preferen...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines