• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDF lagging in Pdf annotation apps (both Goodnotes and XODO)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I made a digital notebook with hyperlinks in InDesign, then exported it as Interactive PDF. When I opened the PDF file in annotation apps (Goodnotes app on iPad pro 2020, and XODO app on Samsung tab A), the notebook lagged, especially much worse in XODO app. 

When I zoomed in and out, the images, boxes, lines, etc, took awhile to sharpen. Sometimes, when I jumped from one page to another, one of the page suddenly dissapeared, then appeared. 

Below is the video I recorded how the notebook behaved in XODO app. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bIcGc8mcsu9xsJA9CI-NwJwtGOA_-lHT/view

Do you know what is the reason that lead to this issue? And how to fix it? 

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has nothing to do with InDesign. If the PDF functions in Acrobat then you'll need to contact the vendors of those applications that are not working properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for your answer. 

Unfortunately, it's also lagging when I opened with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. I recorded it here. The lagging as not slow as in XODO, but you can still see how the top layers just dissapeared for a second before it appeared again. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16prTaVlcjPIzl-cr2y1NMJl_pJVFTi4C/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, can someone help me with this issue? I tried to contacted the customer service from Adobe and the answer is no possible fix. They said that the interactive PDF is meant for web browsers, and not even for reading it with Acrobat Pro DC. Is that true?

Also, I would like to add that my interactive PDF has no interactive elements except for hyperlinks. 

I tried to exported as print PDF, but the flashing/glitch is still there. I attached here the settings I used for the print PDF exporting.

SophiaPP_0-1641518918438.pngSophiaPP_1-1641518927506.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a lot going on in that file that is going to require screen redraws. You may actually be better off rasterizing some of that stuff.

I too would like to see the file but I will re-iterate, that this is not an InDesign isse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BobLevine,

Thanks for your reply. Can I shared the adobe asset link to you privately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent the shared link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the link but it doesn't link to any kind of file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just re-sent a Google Drive share link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need the PDF, not the INDD file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I just sent a different Google Drive link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to tell you this, but I don't think there's much hope of getting this to behave the way you want it to without drastically changing your approach to having it as one page with the background and a whole lot of show / hide actions.

I do not advise you to try that as it's probably not going to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. 😥

Do you think if I make all everything into a single image, then add transparent frames with hyperlinks on top of the image, the issue would be resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, whoever you spoke to doesn't have a clue. I am not at all a fan of interactive PDF but it's even worse in a browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like a lag on the systems--could be specs or Wi-Fi speed. Can you make the file available to test?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, the OP said it was the same in Acrobat Pro so I assume it was checked on a desktop computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the PDF file was tested with Acrobat Pro DC (laptop), Goodnotes (iPad Pro 2020), and XODO (Samsung Tab A).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes--I could tell by the screen captures. Still could be a number of system-related issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Creamer Training,

Thanks for your reply. Can I shared the adobe asset link to you privately?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure--click on my profile name and you will find my email.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent the Google Drive link. Thanks for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not getting any unreasonable lag when viewing the PDF. When I zoom in, the graphics are fully rendered--no delay there either.

What are your specs for the computer running the full Acrobat Pro locally (not the tablets)?

Try these ideas:

Build a layout in Photoshop and save as Photoshop PDF. You shouldn't need layers and make sure you don't maintain Photoshop editability. Replace the page in Acrobat--this will keep your Acrobat links on that page.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/how-to/replace-pages-in-pdf.html

Also, just as a test, on this page, replace your destination links with simple page links. 

I assume you built this in pieces in InDesign. Did you put any of the repeating graphics on a master page or were they copied to every page separately?

There is a lot going on in this file, graphicly speaking. Depending on the version, about 84% of the file is images. I would consider making as much as your art as you can in Illustrator. It looks like everything was created in Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My laptop's specs:

Device: XPS15
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I just used simple link to page instead of of link to shared destination.

Some of the graphics are images (.png) placed into the master pages (such as the coffee cup, succulent, and all the icons), but most of the graphics (cover, pages, & tabs) were created with the Rectangle Tools in InDesign. And most of the images (.png) are in the master pages only, no repeating on the regular pages.

I tried using a single image as background, then put hyperlinks on top of it, and noticed it has a very large size after exporting (27mb), while the current file is so much smaller in file size (5mb). I think I will test with one image background method again to see if the glitch is still there.

And I will test creating arts in illustrator in the future. I still don't know how to use Illustrator, just Photoshop and InDesign recently. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines