• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDF (published online), can a video auto-play underneath another button?

Contributor ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project that includes a few mp4 stock videos that are set to auto-play/loop. These work as intentended when published. I've now placed an opaque button on top of each video, with a rollover opacity of 25%. The idea is, when User mouse-overs the button, they see the underlying looping movie. This is not working as intended - the movies become their static first-frame still.

This may well be the reality of inDesign capabilities. Or, am I doing it wrong and missing a step? I've tried this with both the button and video in the same layer, and with the button on a top layer. 

Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a PDF?

Or is it Publish Online (which is actually not a PDF)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. 

This is deployed using the Publish Online button, upper right corner, and hosted/viewed via indd.adobe.com (or, compiled and deployed on a server, HTML5 using in5).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hard to picture exactly what you're going for here. Can you post a link to the Publish Online doc or sample pgs from InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, as is often the case, in my effort to create an example of my problem I accidently figured it out. 

You can see my example here

It appears iD doesn't allow two movies to auto-play on the same document at the same time. So, it didn't matter whether the movies were under a button or not. 

The [now obvious] solution: Configure the button to On Rollower > Video > [video name] > Play

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, glad it worked. 

Couple of comments/questions: If you link the videos in the Timing panel, wouldn't they both play simulataneously? (Sorry not at a computer at the moment). Also, bear in mind that "on rollover" only works on desktops, where there is a mouse involved. The effect won't work on tablets. Depending on your audience, that may or may not matter for your case. I try to avoid rollover effects for this reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! Using the timing panel is a great tip. As for tablet/phone, I have a alternative views with different actions, depending on the device. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines