Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive PDFs on iPad?

New Here ,
May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

First of all, I'm trying to avoid having to use Flash.

That being said, do the various interactive elements I can add to an InDesign file (including embedded video) work within the iPad ecosystem when exported as an Interactive PDF?

For example, will buttons/links respond to a "touch" rather than a mouse-click?

Thanks!

ac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 10, 2011 May 10, 2011

You're thinking about the Digital Publishing Suite and that has nothing to do with converting SWF to anything useable on the iPad. You can convert SWF to HTML5 with Wallaby. http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/wallaby/

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for your input!  I appreciate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out ezPDF Reader - it reads embedded video on the iPad and iPhone. Great. And only costs £1.99 from the App store. This means that the PDF is back. All those expensive apps not necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I too am interested in this question.

I understand that swf files won't work on an ipad but the question seems to be about interactive pdfs? Will a pdf with interactivity (created in InDesign CS5) work on an ipad? ie. buttons/links work with touch rather than a mouse click?

Thanks,

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, it's going to depend on the limitations of the PDF reader. I've heard pretty good things about GoodReader. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodreader-for-ipad/id363448914?mt=8

HTH

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply Bob - I don't (yet) have an ipad so am a little in the dark - so you can't veiw pdfs (interactive or otherwise) with Acrobat reader on an ipad?

Thanks,

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Adobe Reader for the iPad.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a test of an Interactive PDF file with GoodReader on an iPad. It recognizes hyperlinks to URLs and switches to a browser. It currently ignores buttons.

But the creator of GoodReader has regularly upgraded the application, so it may just be a matter of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that update, Steve.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob and Steve, thanks for the info - much appreciated!

Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2011 May 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I emailed the makers of GoodReader and got the following reply:

I was wondering if an \"interactive\" PDF -- a PDF with links/buttons -- would work on an iPad using your software?

Links/buttons should work, but, of course, there's no way to give a 100% reliable answer without testing your particular file.

What about elements like embedded video?

Embeded PDF video is not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2011 May 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One last question for the experts...

Seeing that an interactive PDF isn't going to work on an iPad, what is the best (only?) way to make an interactive presentation within CS5/5.5 that will work on an iPad?

Thanks again for your insight.

ac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Digital Publishing Suite — relatively easy, but not cheap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe reader is available for iPad...not sure if this is a recent release but it's available in the App store. You have to have iOS 4.2.5 to download but it is free. Haven't been able to test it's compatability yet with interactive PDFs but am hoping it will allow for more interaction besides just hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be prepared to be very disappointed.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My preliminary testing with Adobe Reader on the iPad is that it lags other third party PDF readers. It doesn't support forms, hyperlinks, or multimedia.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2011 Dec 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interactive pdf's from indesign work brilliantly on iPad with an app called Goodreader, I use it as a presentation tool and that particular combo is way better than re-working all your assets again in keynote (the iPad app does not seem to allow slide to slide navigation . . . Oops!). For multimedia It's easy to create links to stored files on an external server eg Youtube and your interactive file is kept small enough to email.

I think adobe and apple just want us all to rush out and spend spend spend again to jump on the digi-publishing wave that's why they haven't created an 'interactive pdf reader' . . . . .this solution negates the need to buy in, it may not be right for everyone but it can and does work. I have also used it for iphone and ipad app presentation mock-ups directly on my iPad to give the client an idea of navigation and look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2011 Dec 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received an iPad2 for Christmas.  I uploaded 4 like files that are interactive PDFs into iBooks.  All 4 open, only one will function as an interactive PDF.  Coincidentally the functioning file is 18mb, the other three are all larger (30-250mb).  Any suggestions to get the other 3 functioning? I dont want to buy a bunch of apps to learn that they function no better than the basic iBooks.  Thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interactive PDFs are a crapshoot on the iPad. There are several PDF readers you can try.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they sure seem to be! thanks for the reply.  If anyone has had reliable success with a certain app please advise before I spend money on an app that may not live up to my expectations of managing an interactive PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Reader has gotten some positive reviews but I’ve never used it.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to create my PDFs for iPad users for viewing in iBooks (since it is the most common reader on iPads... I can't expect all my users to download a 3rd party app just to view a PDF). In my experience, buttons and links exported out of InDD aren't supported in in iBooks, but if I program the buttons in Acrobat Pro (with the links tool), then the buttons function fine. Same with hyperlinks. This is enough to keep me happy for now, but I long for more interactive content.

I should add that any button animation you assign in InDD will not animate on the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines