• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Invailid characters in index entries

Enthusiast ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a very old book file (~20 years) to create a new file for reprinting, and I'm getting this error message: "The index could not be generated. One or more index entries contain invalid characters. Please delete any invalid characters from the index entries."

There are, of course, hundreds of index entries marked in the document, and I haven't the first clue how to start troubleshooting this problem. Any ideas?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Sorry...just seeing this post. I honestly have no idea what could be hanging it up. But the good news is the publisher decided we could do without that index, so *poof!* mischief managed!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you updated the font to be an OpenType font? That means editing the existing paragraph styles to also call for the new font. A 20 year old file might be calling for PostScript T1 font files and should be carefully prepped to update all fonts to OpenType. Then, see if the problem is still persisting?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I checked, and it's OTF already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible to write a Javascript that goes over each entry and deletes certain characters; I have done so in the past (every topic imported from Word ended with a '0' byte value). Can you give any more information on what the possibly "invalid character" might be? Accented characters? Symbols? Just about anything at all could help us help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry...just seeing this post. I honestly have no idea what could be hanging it up. But the good news is the publisher decided we could do without that index, so *poof!* mischief managed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fair enough. Still: if you'd like to (positively) surprise your publisher, you could post a small test document somewhere on a public server (WeTransfer, DropBox) so that we can take a look at it and test whether it can be fixed in time for publishing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines