• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Invalid indent value bug

Contributor ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the error message 'invalid indent value' but it makes no sense. I made the first line indent a negative and the rest of the para a positive in order to create turnover lines in a poem. Obviously, the minus value of the first line shouldn't exceed the positive value of the paragraph, but InDesign won't allow me to do this. The positive value is 5.009mm (I'm sure it was 8mm last night!) and the negative value is 8mm: this makes no sense! And I can't change either value either way without getting the 'invalid indent value' error. I've tried resaving the file as ID template and renaming but no luck.

Screenshot 2022-11-25 104442.png

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

For anyone's future reference: I fixed it by adjusting the indent in the tabs palette. Set both upper and lower indents to zero and I can now use the indents on the control panel again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: the older version saved on my computer is fine. This problem has only arisen with the version saved to the Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone's future reference: I fixed it by adjusting the indent in the tabs palette. Set both upper and lower indents to zero and I can now use the indents on the control panel again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This "feature" has always seemed poorly implemented to me, especially when you do something like reduce an indent to less than a first-line outdent; ID should handle these changes more gracefully instead of throwing an error message. It's just all sharp edges in there, like playing "Operation." 🙂

But I can see how some particular combination of changes might bypass the logic check and warning and leave behind a "broken" combination of an outdent larger than the indent. This seems to be what happened to you.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines