• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

invert image in InDesign CS6

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I invert (make a negative image) a Tiff (or JPG) image within Indesign CS6?

This can be done in Photoshop, but I don't want to keep swapping applications or have to make and save a new (negative) image in Photoshop and then import into Indesign.

This was so easy in Quark years ago!

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the fill color of the rectangle holding your image to Black, and the fill color of the image itself (select with the white arrow) to Paper.

This will only work on grayscale and black-and-white images; then again, those are the only logical candidates to make negative.

In case "it is not working": there is a difference between a full color image containing only gray pixels and a real grayscale image. The former cannot be changed in ID, the latter can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but can't get it to work. I imagine using a Fill etc doesn't give the result that an 'invert' command does in Photoshop.

Quark may be long gone in common usage, but it did have some better functions than InDesign!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 21, 2014 Nov 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Objection! It is not the task of a layout tool to process digital images. If you invert the original in PS, you don't even need to place it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to do that too. But I cannot figure it out. 

I have an PNG which only uses the color black. But, now I want to change the background color to black and invert the image. However, when selecting the image with the white arrow I do not have the option to change it to paper. What can I do?

From Adobe Illustrator I can export PNG's, JPG's, Tiff's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What can I do?

It has to be a grayscale. Open the PNG in Photoshop, convert Image>Mode to Grayscale, and make sure to flatten. Save As PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is unfortuate, I thought it maybe could be done with Illustrator files or PNG's/TIFF's from Illustrator. Or might that be possible after all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TIFF should work—its Export dialog lets you choose Grayscale as the Color Model and they export flattened:

Screen Shot 6.png

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export the TIFF-file the background becomes white when doing grayscale. Is that what should happen?

I expected it to be transparent.

So, what I want is a file that I can change the color of in InDesign and is also transparent by itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot colorize a transparent TIF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then you would have to open the AI TIFF (or the PNG and skip AI) at a high resolution in Photoshop and convert it to Bitmap Mode (Black and White). Here I’ve opened an AI file at 1000ppi and converted it to Bitmap Mode:

Screen Shot 3.png

Placed in ID, the frame has a white fill:

Screen Shot 4.png

The frame set to [None] and the Bitmap set to Blue:

Screen Shot 5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines