• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to print multiple InDesign pages on one sheet?

Participant ,
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say I have a 10 page InDesign document. Each page is fairly small. When I go to print out those proofs, can I print all 10 pages on one sheet of paper? Or do I have to copy each layout separately onto a new document to group them? Just to save paper really.

ID CS3

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

File > Print

Setup Tab, thumbnails...come on Twitch, give us something tough here...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Print

Setup Tab, thumbnails...come on Twitch, give us something tough here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you want to print multiple pages onto one piece of paper, but at 100%, not at the preset Thumbnail size? For example, 6 different business card designs at 3.5" x 2". Any way to do that within InDesign? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a new file and place your pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like you've been stubborn without answering the question. In fact, using thumbnails do not preserve the original pages dimension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nicolom64940262 Did you look at the date on that post? If you have nothing useful to add, then please refrain from adding anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess people never make 4 variations of a business card and want to test them on a single piece of paper huh? It's a joke that indesign does not support this. And no, the thumbnails function is absolutely useless. If there was a setting to print the objects at 100% scale while using them on a 4x4 grid it would be different, but just downsizing your document to a random 4x4 grid really is absolutely useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photocrack  wrote

I guess people never make 4 variations of a business card and want to test them on a single piece of paper huh? It's a joke that indesign does not support this. …

Hi photocrack ,

just place the InDesign document(s) of the business cards on a page.

If you need cropmarks use a script like CropMarks.jsx that comes along with every installation of inDesign. It's available in the Scripts Panel under Samples > JavaScript .

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender  wrote

Do I need to manually lay out every page manually in the new document using this method?

Real world problem: 32 name cards to be inserted in plastic lanyard pockets. Client wants to print these on their own A4 printer, which they don't know how to use very well.

How can I (with Adobe CC and late model Mac) simply produce a 4 page PDF with the name cards laid out 8up on each A4 sheet?

I can't seem to do it in Acrobat. And following this thread would tend to suggest I need to:

1. make a second ID document
  2. place 8 correctly sized frames on a Master Page
  3. create 4 new pages
  4. manually place the original file 32 times, selecting the appropriate page each time

Is that what people are suggesting? Surely there's a better way???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

puffmoike  wrote

Laubender   wrote

Do I need to manually lay out every page manually in the new document using this method?

Real world problem: 32 name cards to be inserted in plastic lanyard pockets. Client wants to print these on their own A4 printer, which they don't know how to use very well.

How can I (with Adobe CC and late model Mac) simply produce a 4 page PDF with the name cards laid out 8up on each A4 sheet?

I can't seem to do it in Acrobat. And following this thread would tend to suggest I need to:

1. make a second ID document
  2. place 8 correctly sized frames on a Master Page
  3. create 4 new pages
  4. manually place the original file 32 times, selecting the appropriate page each time

Is that what people are suggesting? Surely there's a better way???

Hi puffmoike ,

are all the 32 cards in one PDF file?

Then you could place them also with one single placing action. One click for every card. 32 clicks in all.

Here is how:

1. Do a new InDesign document with 4 pages

2. Add 8 correctly sized frames on a Master

3. Maybe do frame fitting options to Fill Frame Proportionally:

BusinessCards-1.PNG

Now load the PDF to your place gun. Do All Pages in the Placing Options:

BusinessCards-2.PNG

That would load all PDF pages as single assets to the place gun.

Hover above a prepared frame on a document page. Do one click to place the PDF page. One after another. Just 32 clicks.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender  wrote

you could place them also with one single placing action. One click for every card. 32 clicks in all.

This worked brilliantly, thanks Uwe. Previously I'd always selected a frame first and than placed a file – I didn't realise it was possible to 'load the gun'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Print. Click on Setup, click Thumbnails, select size.

Untitled-3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sure wish there was a way to get rid of the drop shadow on the thumbnails. For me, it can spoil the presentation of full bleed pages. I end up having to make a PDF, and print multiple pages on one sheet in Acrobat.

I'd also like to be able to include the slug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. That's not gonna happen even with Feature Request...everybody loves drop shadow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel Flavin wrote:

I agree. That's not gonna happen even with Feature Request...everybody loves drop shadow...

are you kidding me?

That horrible drop shadow bar adds no value to thumbnail prints and causes designers to have to trim the prints to the thin line page edge that prints. With the bar under the thumbnail, it interferes with page design decisions, which is really the whole point of printing thumbnails--to save paper while quickly evaluating the design of the page.

It would also be helpful to have thumbnail print options galore, for printing miniature booklets with pagination controls, etc., for little samples we could give to our clients.

If the InDesign software engineers would add realistic drop shadow controls for thumbnails, that would be fine. But designers still want the ability to turn off the thumbnails.

KILL THE WORTHLESS DROP SHADOW BAR AND PLEASE GIVE US MORE THUMBNAIL PRINTING OPTIONS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the above concerning the drop shadow. This is not the kind of effect that you want your software to force upon you. Besides I would like to have more control over the scaling of the 'thumbnails'. I can see apllications, where you want to fit multiple pages on a single sheet whithout scaling at all. Business cards Layouts or multiple brochure pages on a single A3 print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2016 Feb 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would also be great to control the thumbnail configuration, i.e. number of columns and rows. And I agree -- WE HATE THE DROP SHADOW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using OSX try this script

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/MakePageThumbnails.zip

Here are the settings, makes a new document with the pages placed

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 11.05.46 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 11.06.15 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Even years later you were a huge help. It's easier to see the solution this way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TwitchOSX wrote:

Say I have a 10 page InDesign document. Each page is fairly small. When I go to print out those proofs, can I print all 10 pages on one sheet of paper? Or do I have to copy each layout separately onto a new document to group them? Just to save paper really.

ID CS3

Export to PDF and in Acrobat choose print multiple pages per sheet?

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody (except Daniel) ever reads post #3.

Sorry, just had to say that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its an extra step but I found the best solution is to export to pdf and print with the multiple option. I believe it maintains proportions and even includes cutmarks etc that you my have put in your pdf.

I think most users would like the functionality of Acrobat's print Multiple within Indesign. Just a suggestion to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with that is that it doesnt maintanin the proportions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a method that might work, but it will require a PostScript driver for your printer. (Maybe non-PS drivers/printers will allow this, too.)

From InDesign:

1. Select File/Print.  Select a PostScript printer and PS driver. You can also select Acrobat PDF Printer, too, and this will create a PDF with the multiple items per page, too.
  2. From the lower left, select the Setup button
  3. From the next screen, select the Preferences button.
  4. In the Layout tab, choose the number of Pages per Sheet.
  5. Of course, select the correct paper sheet size throughout the printer settings.

Print Multiple Up.png

Hope this helps!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines