• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to retrieve the URL status for hyperlinks via script?

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign obviously stores the status of hyperlinks it has checked, but I can't find a property that holds the status. I'm using InDesign version 16.4.3.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Hi @davidt12412601, I had a look at hyperlinks and hyperlinkURLDestination objects and couldn't find any sign of what you want either. The closest thing was a method of Hyperlink called showDestination() which will attempt to open the URL in your default web browser.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @davidt12412601, I had a look at hyperlinks and hyperlinkURLDestination objects and couldn't find any sign of what you want either. The closest thing was a method of Hyperlink called showDestination() which will attempt to open the URL in your default web browser.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for investigating, Mark. I guess I'll sadly mark your answer as correct.

I'm trying to check for bad links in a set of roughly 100 files, each of which contains on average 1000 hyperlinks. In our use case, once a link is valid, it will always be valid. At the moment, we manually open each doc, enable automatic URL status updates, and let InDesign check all the links. I would like to automate that routine maintenance. Saving the time it takes to recheck each link would be great, but at least letting the system check unattended would be helpful.

Unfortunately, it looks like we'll have to continue to have a person open each file, wait for the status to update, and visually check the hyperlinks panel. Oh, well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines