• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to select multiple nonconsective paras to apply a paragraph style?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm used to Quark, where in paragraph mode you can select paragraphs 1, 3, 6, & 9 (for instance) then select a paragraph style to apply to all of them. It seems InDesign can only work with one para at a time, which is quite tedious. Is there a shortcut I'm not aware of that will help?

Also, is there a way to simply hide (not delete) the dozens of para styles not used in this doc? Thanks much.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

You can do that in Microsoft Word, too, but No, you cannot select muliple paragraphs in InDesign. You can assign a keyboard shortcut or use Quick Apply.

You could put the unused styles in a folder. I rename them with a Ventura Publisher convention from the old days — I give them a prefix of "Z_"

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do that in Microsoft Word, too, but No, you cannot select muliple paragraphs in InDesign. You can assign a keyboard shortcut or use Quick Apply.

You could put the unused styles in a folder. I rename them with a Ventura Publisher convention from the old days — I give them a prefix of "Z_"

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jane. Thanks very much for the quick reply. The keyboard shortcuts are helping somewhat, though I was hoping for a faster method.

I may try that on the unused styles, thanks. (And thanks for the "blast from the past." I cut my teeth on Ventura Publisher, oh-so-very long ago, and even served as the editor of Ventura Professional! magazine. Those were the good old days!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This brought a big smile to my face! I remember Ventura Professional! well and even had a article in it once. I'm impressed that you were an editor!

If you use Quick Apply, the steps are:

• Cmd+Return (Ctrl+Enter)
  • Type part of the style name
  • Return (Enter)

If you are going to use it, then it helps to name your styles appropriately. Instead of "Heading 2", use "H2 Heading 2" so you can type H2 into Quick Apply.

Here is an article from Creative Pro:

https://creativepro.com/fastest-ways-to-apply-styles/

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the article. Quick Apply will come in handy.

What's your last name (or what would your byline have been)? I used my maiden name back then (Lynn Walterick) and was the editor for about three years--a whopping thirty years ago! You'll remember Bob Moody's name, I'm sure (the publisher).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never changed my name when I married, so it's always been Jane Edwards.

A client want boxes around the Function keys and boxes were paragraph level only, so I had to use the "No Break" feature. Behind the scenes I had up to seven paragraphs that flowed together as one. Before they hired me they were drawing the boxes and tediously moving them every time there was a text edit. I had to break the rules of the magazine and send a .vp file to preserve the formatting!

I remember your name, and of course Bob Moody. Sally Smith was president of our users group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your name sounds vaguely familar, as does your VP tip. Makes me want to go up in the attic to find that old issue. (I'm not really a hoarder; I just keep the meaningful stuff.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know if you find it! 😊

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Eye dropper tool is a really fast (and fun) way to quickly apply styles. Give it a try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can apply sequential Paragraph Styles with one click using an Object Style applied to the parent text frame:

Screen Shot 4.pngScreen Shot 5.png

The RepeatStyles Object style’s Paragraph Style is set to AHead and Apply Next Style is checked. The AHead Paragraph Style’s next style is BHead, BHead’s next style is Text, and Text’s next style is AHead creating a loop.

Screen Shot 7.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rob. That automation looks pretty handy. I'll definitely have to look into that. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines