• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to unlink endnotes in indesign?

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i place a word (2016) file into indesign (the current adobe creative cloud version), it retains the endnote linkage in the original word document. is there any way to remove the linkage? in other words, after the document is placed in indesign, i want to preserve the sequential numbering of the superscript in the text and in the endnotes but i don't want them to be connected.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

I share your frustration!

Be sure to go vote for the feature request "Convert Endnotes to Static Text" on the InDesign feedback page. And add a comment to explain yourself too (there are 20+ comments on it to date). The engineers do read this page, quite closely, and often participate in discussions there.

Aman linked to the page already: Static Endnotes – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just by script if someone can provide you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you want to unlink it to the word document or

do you want to unlink the endnote anchors in the text with the endnote text? Why would you want this though? Static Endnotes – Adobe InDesign Feedback

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi aman: thanks for replying. i think i want the latter: unlink the

endnote anchors in the text with the endnote text --- AFTER the text is

imported (or "placed") in indesign. until recently, that unlinking

happened automatically.

why do i want to do this? sometimes i import multiple word docs into

indesign. each document has a endnote numbering system of 1 thru "x."

when i import the second or third or nth document into indesign, both

superscript and endnotes are renumbered beginning with the last number

of the previous document.

sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. there's no consistency. m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Try and check out the Type-Document endnote options and try changing the scope to and restart numbering options.

Also, if the numbering mode is continous and the scope is set as Document then the endnotes of word document placed on page x will have a higher number than the endnotes on page < x

See this:Endnotes

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately Aman, you and the developers have no idea how typesetters actually work. It is common to cut endnotes from a document and place them into another document. Yet still want to have the endnote references remain in the document you are cutting the endnotes from. When I look in the "Endnotes" document you referenced, the following is stated:

• Deleting entire endnote frame deletes all the corresponding endnote references.

It is absolutely absurd that Adobe would make this change to Indesign. You have effectively relegated typesetters to CC2017. Unless there is some sort of idiotic workaround to deal with your "improvement"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I share your frustration!

Be sure to go vote for the feature request "Convert Endnotes to Static Text" on the InDesign feedback page. And add a comment to explain yourself too (there are 20+ comments on it to date). The engineers do read this page, quite closely, and often participate in discussions there.

Aman linked to the page already: Static Endnotes – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While we're waiting to see if they add "Convert endnotes to static" as an option at some point, here's a workaround that could help. Because that's how CC2017 works (and all previous versions), it brings them in as static endnotes. You can install CC 2017 even if you have  CC 2018 installed. (If you deleted it, reinstall from the Creative Cloud app, look for "Older versions.")

Create a new INDD file in CC  2017, place  the Word file (choose to include  Endnotes in the Word Import Options dialog box), save the file, open it in CC  2018, it'll say "converted," then just save it in CC 2018. Endnotes should come through as static. You might  even be able to skip the "converted" step an just cut and paste the text into the new file. Be sure to include formatting otherwise you'll lose all your superscripts.

If you ever need to convert the static endnotes to live ones in InDesign, you can  use Peter Kahrel's free script that changes them all into numbered cross-references:

Dynamic endnotes, column notes, margin notes | Peter Kahrel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to the "why" you wouldn't want to use endnotes is the situation where the document has multiple references to the same endnote. I ran into this recently with a document and discovered that you can only link to an endnote one time. So I need to convert them to static endnotes and then use cross references instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the dynamic endnote feature in InDesign, but when I export my file to epup3 I'm getting all kinds of errors in my epub when I try to validate it. The endnote references are in the proper place in my text, but the numbering in the endnotes stops after number 1 and none of the url links import into my epub.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your EPUB-related questions here for best response:

InDesign EPUB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new link: https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/footnote_endnote_conversion_cc2018.html 

I met a small problem. My endnotes text had a dot (period) after the endnote number. That period disappeared after conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe says they have fixed this problem but I cannot find a fix anywhere. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines