• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a default shortcut for the paragraph Style Options panel, and if not how do I set one?

Enthusiast ,
Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google gave no results...

TOPICS
Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

If you haven't made changes to styled text as Jean Marc points out there will be no option to redefine the style and in those cases you would choose Edit {Stylename}... to open the options dialog to make changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah I can see I can set a shortcut in the panel itself.

Still, is there anything set as default?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS: Window>Styles>Paragraph Styles (cmd+F11)ParaStylels.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean paragraph style options:

Screenshot 2022-08-15 203426.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're asking for is dependent on a specific Paragraph Style name. Using Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts>Panel Menus you can create your own shortcut, but for the shortcut to work you first have to click once to select which para style you want to edit. Since double-clicking will open any para style, creating another shortcut to do so doesn't make sense (to me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that means that there is no default shortcut for this:

Screenshot 2022-08-16 225901.png

just because that is specific for each paragraph style? okay, i get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

if you hover over a specific paragraph style name you could invoke the context menu to get to the menu that will open the style options of that specific paragraph style. Is that the command you are looking for?

A double-click on the style's name would open it as well, but would also apply the style to selected text. Sometimes you would not want this. Using the context menu would not apply the style to selected text.

I think for this special usage, the context menu, there cannot be a keyboard shortcut, because InDesign is building the menu option name on the fly. From the position of the cursor on the style listed in the Paragraph Styles panel.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

what I meant if there is a default shortcut gor this specific field:

Screenshot 2022-08-16 225901.png but now I get it that it isn't and that's just vecause that is specific to each paragraph style, isn't it?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure you understand what that shortcut field in the dialog is doing. Putting a value in that field assigns a shortcut to apply that style to text. You would normally do this when you define the style. if you decide to add a shortcut to apply the style later you would need to edit the style.

A lot of users find Quick Apply to be useful for applying styles. On windows the default is to hit Ctrl + Enter to open the Quick Apply dialog, then start typing the style name. I personally am not a fan of Quick Apply so I can't say if it will help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh i see. No, i am looking for the default shortcut to display the Paragraph Style Options window, just like I am using Ctrl + B to display the Text Frame Options window. Ctrl + B for that window works even if no text frame is selected, and no matter what tool is currently active.

I suppose one text frame should be selected to get the specific Paragraph Style Options window for that specific paragraph, if there is any default shortcut. I am looking for that default shortcut.

I got it now that that shorcut box is for making a shortcut to apply the style formatted in that specific Paragraph Style Options window. But I am looking for the shortcut to open that window, just like Ctrl + B opens the Text Frame Options window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you need to select a paragraph style among all existing paragraph styles before displaying the paragraph style options, what you ask for is impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking on a text frame should be sufficient before using the shortcut. Then the app could assume that the Paragraph Style Options window of that paragraph in that frame is what it should display. So it cannot be set a custom shorcut either?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

of that paragraph in that frame

Mostly, you have more than one paragraph in a frame.

Let me try to explain this another way: imagine a file in which you have one style for the headings, another one for the main title, a third one for the subtitle, another one for the body text, and so on. How can you expect the software to be able to know what style you want to edit? Styles and text frames work completely differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it now, yes. Okay. So can you confirm that that custom shortcut option is for applying those paragraph style options on selected text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So can you confirm that that custom shortcut option is for applying those paragraph style options on selected text?

No, I am afraid you don't get it. These shortcuts are used to apply the style on one or more paragraphs, not to edit the paragraph syle options. To say it quickly, there is no way to apply any shortcut to edit the paragraph style options.

Edit: English is not my native language, I hope I use the proper words in my answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is what I mean, it's for applying the style. Great, so it's sorted out. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to edit the style options for any particular style I think maybe the fastes way would simply be to select a paragraph that uses that style, change whatever formatting you want changed, then right-click the style name in the Paragraph Styles Panel and choose Redefine Style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I did previously, maybe were Character Styles? I don't remember exactly, but i even had in icon button for redefining styles, but now I don't have any panel icon or menu entry either for redefining styles:

Screenshot 2022-08-17 181845.png

Where are they gone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To the best of my knowledge there has never been a button to redefine a style at the bottom of the panel.

The create new style button has cahnge appearance, but there are no other changes to the panel buttons that I am aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the option is not (anymore) in the right click menu either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The “redefine style” option is only available when modifications have been made on the paragraph (not the paragraph style). If there is no modifications, nothing can be redefined…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't made changes to styled text as Jean Marc points out there will be no option to redefine the style and in those cases you would choose Edit {Stylename}... to open the options dialog to make changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, that was it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines