• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to change a paper size?

Engaged ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered the hard way that the B-series of paper sizes in Japan (where I live) are different from ISO sizes of the same names. After weeks laying out a B5-sized art book, the printshop threw it back and said, "You ordered a B5 print job but handed us data sized as 176x250mm. Please resubmit a proper B5 (182x257mm) file." Ack! After a panicked time of fixing every page and hoping I didn't create some new problem, it's resubmitted, and now I want to avoid it happening in the future.

The Japanese version of InDesign defines B5 as 182x257. The English version (which is more comfortable for me as a native English speaker) defines it as 176x250. Same goes for all the other B-series sizes. Is there a way to edit the sizes in the English version?

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

you cannot edit the pre-defined page sizes.

They are "built-in" as far as I know.

With my German InDesign a B5 format is exactly that: 176 x 250 mm.

And that is exactly the format our German DIN is suggesting. Or ISO 216.

What you are seeing in your Japanese version is a different named format: JIS B5 that is 182 x 267 mm.

And this format is not available as predefined format in my German InDesign.

So I'd suggest you are doing a new document setup with 182 x 267 mm and name it JIS B5.

Scroll down to "Japanese B-series variant":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, I know about that Wikipedia page - that's what helped me finally figure out why my software and my printshop were saying different things.

You mentioned a document setup (in English it appears to be called a "document preset") - is there a way to change or delete those? In the legacy New Document dialog, page size is a pulldown, and I assume that's what you say is built-in. But in the new New Document dialog, everything appears to be document presets. If I click on the "Print" tab, there are what look like presets that came with the software, but they are styled just like the ones in the Saved tab. I thought I could edit the B5 one or change its name to "ISO B5" so that I could create a new one named B5, but I don't see a way to do that.

I will never need to create any document for a European printshop - I will always be using JIS sizes. Just like Europeans would not bother to say "ISO" all the time (you just proved that - you wrote, "With my German InDesign a B5 format is exactly that: 176 x 250 mm."), Japanese don't say "JIS". What is technically JIS B5 is just called B5 here. There is no mention of JIS on their packages of paper or anywhere else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I see no way to remove a built-in preset.

So the only option could be to create a new one with a different name.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, thanks. Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines