• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is this a mistake by Indesign or am I making one?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my two-column layout, the numbering of the illustrations appears in the wrong order.
I have supplied all the necessary definitions for this in my sample file.
I have searched the instructions and have been unable to find a solution.

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KOLKRABE 

I've moved your post from Using the Community (for forum questions) to InDesign for you.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There doesn't seem to be any method to doing the numbering other than to type it in a text frame and group with your rectangles.

Can you provide some details about how you built this sample and maybe we can figure out what you need to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @KOLKRABE , Each of your captions is a text frame with a single paragraph. In order to get Bullets and Numbering paragraph feature to work the way you are expecting, the caption text frames would need to be threaded with a frame break character inserted after each caption:

Screen Shot.png

A frame break character inseted at the end of the caption:

Screen Shot 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2024 Apr 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, that was a good tip. I was able to apply it to my case.
I have a whole book here with 18 chapters and a whole series of pictures (and footnotes etc.) in each chapter, which also had to change position in the course of editing. At the end, a list of illustrations is generated from this, in which the captions have to be exchanged for the source texts. So full concentration.
In the places where I was not satisfied with the automatic figure numbering, I was able to proceed locally. So I inserted the frame break at the end of the captions in these places and then re-linked these frames.
What is Indesign doing internally that makes such an intervention necessary?
I would like to see a better algorithm from Adobe, because such a procedure is completely normal in the work as described above.

Thank you, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature you are using is for automatic numbering of continuous paragraphs, not one line caption or text frame numbering—there is not a text frame numbering feature

Here there is a single paragraph styled to auto number starting with 11:

Screen Shot 8.png

If I insert returns, new paragraphs are created with the numbering sequence:

Screen Shot 9.png

If I replace a return with a Frame Break the paragraphs after overflow the frame:

Screen Shot 11.png

If I thread the overflow to a new frame the paragraph numbering continues:

Screen Shot 10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you too.
It's sort of the same solution, just described differently, if I've understood correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@KOLKRABE 

If your captions are single paragraphs - it would be much better for you = less hassle - if you define and apply ParaStyle like this:

RobertTkaczyk_0-1713555679863.png

Then you can avoid inserting TextFrame breaks manually and you don't have to worry about the max height of TFs.

You can also easily re-link your TFs:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/indesign/using/threading-text.html

Add a frame inside a sequence of threaded frames

Extremely useful when you are working with maps and POIs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines