Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with font variables in InDesign

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am using the Google font Karla in my indd document, however all of the font variables are converting to Italic for some reason. For example, I am trying to use Karla Light for my body text, but indd is converting it to Karla Italic. I have tried creating a Paragraph Style with Karla Light, making sure Character Style is on "None", removed and reinstalled the font from my desktop, removed and reinstalled the font from the Document Fonts folder, etc. I do not have this issue with the font on Illustrator or Photoshop, so I believe it might be an InDesign issue.

Here is what I see on my screen:

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 11.06.49 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-10-26 at 11.04.18 AM.png

The font variables are showing up in the Character panel but are converted to Italic in the Type tab. This issue is unique to the current document I am working on right now. I tested this font on another document and all the font variables are displaying correctly.

I appreciate any ideas on what could be causing this!!

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Figured it out! Had to delete the entire Document Fonts folder from the package and it fixed itself 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured it out! Had to delete the entire Document Fonts folder from the package and it fixed itself 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for posting this solution! My company's brand font is Karla and this was driving me nuts. Deleting the  entire Document Fonts folder from the package worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have issues with the google font Big Shoulders Display, which is now part of my company's branding--and it shows up as thin in InDesign even when other widths are used (or sometimes a random letter in the middle of a word will show the right width, usually a letter with no curves). When PDF'd it looks correct, but it's hard to design around it when you can't see what it looks like. 

do you have to package the file so you can then delete the document fonts folder, or is there another way to shortcut the packaging part?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Laura29412667isyl : if you're using InDesign 2024 then it's a known bug reported by several users. as far as I understand, the only solution is to revert to InDesign 2023 (you can re-install it from the Creative Cloud app, if needed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daphne,

well, you solved your issue with the Karla font on your machine.

I wonder how you installed the font after you trashed the Document fonts folder?

And what did that Document fonts folder contain? How many styles of that Karla font?

Maybe some styles in that Document fonts folder blocked other styles that were installed in a different way?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had exactly the same issue. Was using variable weight of Karla in both regular and italic within the document and it kept trying to change everything to italic after packaging the file! Deleting the package of fonts fixed the issue. Weird glitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG, this has plagued me for a year now, as Karla is the brand font for one of my clients. I can't believe I just found your post. It worked like a charm. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines