• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue with images importing as text boxes

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this weird issue when I try to import an image it shows up as a text box with one bullet point in the top left corner. I've tried JPEGs and PNGs but it seems to be doing it with both. Please see attached images for what I'm talking about. You can see in the Links panel the file is a PNG but the format is text. I'm not sure why this is happening. Maybe I'm missing something very obvious, but it has been consistently happening within my document even when I start with a fresh import. Any help would be appreciated.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are have already some text boxes and place into them. Let's try again:

- CTRL+D

- choose images to place in explorer window

- ok

- place by one-click somewhere on the page somewhere where isn't any frames.

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/placing-graphics.html#place_import_graphics - here the help about it

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that was the issue too, but even when I place directly into the document and not into an existing frame, it still does it. The only thing I've gotten to work is to direct select an already linked image and relink it with a new image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export the images directly to InDesgin or into an exissting image frame.

To avoid placing them into an existing text frame, click with the strg/cmd key on an empty place.

Why is there a text frame in the first place. Delete all empty text frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am placing it into either existing image frames or into blank areas and it's still doing it. The only thing I've found that has remediated the issue is direct selecting on an already placed imaging and replacing the link with the new image. But this seems like a less than ideal way to place all my images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please pardon me for the strange question. Are you use it "black arrow" tool when do CTRL+D?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I believe so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue. When I select images to place the load the cursor with the text loaded cursor icon. 

This is only happening when I'm importing from Dropbox shared synched folders. 

I can place images from stored on the desktop or HD. 

Have reinstalled dropbox, but having same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same isse. It seems to be related to placing images from a synched drive. I'm trying to place images from OneDrive. InDesign will not give a preview the image, and when placed, the image is a blank text box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, did you manage to resolve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem; if I linked to a file that was cloud synced on Dropbox it would crash InDesign (nice). I resolved the problem by setting Dropbox to also sync a local "physical" copy of those files on my drive and link to those. Unfortunately that removes the benefit of Dropbox cloud syncing files to save drive space—but it did solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines