Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Embedded MathType Equations

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm facing a problem when placing a Word file which includes MathType equations to InDesign CC.

InDesign CC does not display the embedded equations properly, especially those with Greek letters and symbols.

The equations get damaged every time I import a Word file irrespective of the Word version I use.

Do you know how I could fix this problem?

Thank you for your consideration!

Aspa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

The article Vladan Linked to is essential reading if you're working with MathType and InDesign. Also, since it seems you've had some degree of success with the Word to InDesign workflow, I must assume you're using Windows, since this basically doesn't work on Mac -- not with equations anyway.

Two suggestions:

1. In the MathType equations in the Word document, try the "Euclid" fonts for "Greek and math" style (Style > Define in MathType).
  2. Failing that, try to print the equations as PDF. It makes sense

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the answer depends on many parameters:
- you are on mac or win;

- version of microsoft word;

- version of MathType;

- what fonts are used;

- have you converted all equations in word (and how) to MathType equations;

- have you exported and then how do you exported the equations ...
however I suggest you read here:

Design Science: MathType Works With...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The article Vladan Linked to is essential reading if you're working with MathType and InDesign. Also, since it seems you've had some degree of success with the Word to InDesign workflow, I must assume you're using Windows, since this basically doesn't work on Mac -- not with equations anyway.

Two suggestions:

1. In the MathType equations in the Word document, try the "Euclid" fonts for "Greek and math" style (Style > Define in MathType).
  2. Failing that, try to print the equations as PDF. It makes sense to do this only to the ones with missing or substituted symbols. Then in InDesign, replace the EPSs generated from the Word-to-InDesign process with the PDFs you saved directly. Note that these PDF equations will appear to be full letter-sized documents, but InDesign will resize them appropriately.

Bob Mathews

WIRIS America

Makers of MathType

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your quick response!

Euclid fonts worked for me! (By the way, I'm using Windows 7, MathType 6.9 and Word 2016. I copy-paste the equations from MathType to Word before I place the Word file in InDesign.)

I really appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to help; glad it's all working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines