• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with selcting punctuation marks and ellipsis with doulbe click and breaking to next line

Enthusiast ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody,

I got some questions regarding selecting and line breake in a few cases. I don't understand InDesign's behaviour and whould be happy to get some clearance about it.

1.Why InDesign selct all pancuation marks that are next to each other and not only the one I need to cahnge. So if I have period and qoutes after it I'm uanble to select only the period by doulbe clicking it.

2. I have something like this (the 3 dots are ellipsis):

(…’As et pe nem rem ut pores eatqui qui quam di dolorrum ullatur…’)

When I doulbe click the elipsis at the begining, it select: Opening bracket+ellipses. When I doulbe click the ellipsis at the end it will selcect: ellipsis+single qoute+closing bracket (and if there is a period at the end it will select it too. 

In both cases I’m unable to select with doulbe click only the ellipsis or anything next to it. Even here, when I doulbe click the elipsis it will be selected without antyhing next to it. 

Another issue is that if the text reached the end of the line, the ellipsis will not break to the next line with the attached text like it does with qoutes (double or single).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thank you,

Shlomit

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-click is the short cut to select an entire word, it cannot select a single character, so you should just drag-select single characters. Every program has a different idea as to what constitues a word. Usually it's whether there's a space before or after. Quotation marks are usually disregarded except that a single closing quote is assumed to be an apostrophe so is usually selected as part of a word (like it would be in contractions or possessives).

This is the same behavior in other programs: Word does it similarly, as does even double-clicking on the same items in your post above on this page in this browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi brad,

Thank you for your answer.

I know what defined a word or pargaraph etc. But these are is panucation marks. They should be able to be single selcted like they do here, in this post. They do on other applications I have on my mac like "Text Edit", "Pages" etc. 

In my post above, here in my browser I can select (on section 2 for instanse) each one of the of the opening pancuation marks by double click it without selecting any of the other ones - (…’As - double click the bracket will select only it; double click the ellipsis will select only it etc.  This is a correct behaviour. In InDesign, all of them will be selcted and when reaching the end of the line all of them will break to the next line attached to the word accept from the ellipsis.

It is very hard to perform proofs when you need to select it manually. I still believe that something is off. I can't remember how it was in previous versions.  

Shlomit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines