• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

justification alternatives

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am building a Hebrew font that uses different gylphs for justification--horizontally elongated versions of letterforms.

Is there a way to have InDesign automatically select among these justification alternates? Or must this be done manually?

Someone suggested to me that I use the jalt typographic feature, but I am not technically knowledgable enough to know the ramifications of using it.

Thanks for any tips or pointers!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Justification setttings are part of the Paragraph formatting, so you could define any number of alternates as Paragraph Styles

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Justification setttings are part of the Paragraph formatting, so you could define any number of alternates as Paragraph Styles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey everyone!

Back at it, 2 years later! Quick question about justification alternatives. I assumed that what a jalt was, was that they were used occasionally to to help with fully justified text. But when I have them turned on, InDesign automatically substitutes ALL the jalt glpyhs in. Am I misunderstanding this feature? Or is it not working properly?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if the Middle Eastern version of ID supports jalt, but my version doesn't. I actually don't know if any application does for that matter.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! if it did, where would i find it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rachel--I don't have a current sub and only have English CS6 at hand, sorry.

Often features that deal with ME text are on by default and have no UI to turn them on/off. However, for jalt, the spec says this can be on or off by default. So if there is not something obvious in the OpenType feature panel, then it would either be on by default without the abilit to turn it off, or, the capability isn't present.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like 'jalt' should get actived automatically:

If a font provides this feature (jalt) with corresponding alternate glyphs, InDesign will use them to attempt to fill the line. Rather than activating all available glyphs, the algorithm appears to calculate the available space in a line and only selects such variants where applicable. Furthermore it combines the use of these alternates with the variation of white space and Tatweel extension strokes, making it an appropriate justification algorithm for Arabic.

https://research.reading.ac.uk/typoarabic/on-arabic-justification-part-2-software-implementations/)

However, that entire article is about Arabic. The screenshots only show features related to Arabic typesetting. It seems this is still under development -- slowly:

> [...] applications such as InDesign pioneered support for the added functionality when competitors lagged behind. However, since the early 2000s this dynamic has changed, and advances slowed down.

(ibid.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so so much! that is extremely helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines