• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Justify with last line aligned left not working

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently formatting a book and my paragraph justification isn't working. I'll set it to justify with last line aligned left but it full justifies it.

problem.JPG

I've gone into justification settings and made sure that the single word is aligned left. I've changed documents. I've started from scratch, I've changed to document I'm placing, I've updated InDesign, I've restarted my computer. I have no idea what's wrong. How can I fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

The problem is, you have only one single (1!!!!!!!) paragraph in your document. The author wanted to write paragraph breaks (created with the return key), but used line break instead (created with schift+return keys).

You have to replace those line breaks, where the paragraph should end with a simple return.

In most cases, let's say about 99% the shift+return should never be used. There are very rare occasions where this key combination might be adequate.

Another problem I see is, that you start yo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post again with hidden characters showing and either the Paragraph panel or the Control Panel in paragraph mode showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is a screencap with more information

problem 2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: there was an issue with the docx file I imported, I had to make it from scratch and made sure to paste without formatting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is, you have only one single (1!!!!!!!) paragraph in your document. The author wanted to write paragraph breaks (created with the return key), but used line break instead (created with schift+return keys).

You have to replace those line breaks, where the paragraph should end with a simple return.

In most cases, let's say about 99% the shift+return should never be used. There are very rare occasions where this key combination might be adequate.

Another problem I see is, that you start your “paragraphs” with a tabulator key. This should not be done either. You have to set up a paragraph style with a first line intent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Willi+Adelberger  wrote

Another problem I see is, that you start your “paragraphs” with a tabulator key. This should not be done either. You have to set up a paragraph style with a first line intent.

As I suspected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theresa:

This is an easy fix with Find/Change. Find all line breaks followed by a Tab ^n^t, replace with a paragraph break ^p.

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 1.26.06 PM.png

After Change All:

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 1.26.14 PM.png

Then add the first line indent in the ¶ view of the Control panel:Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 1.26.47 PM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, It looks like the paragraph style should be "left Justify" rather than "justify". I had the same problem but this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone but this question wasn't mine.

Kind regards

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible when I align my paragraph "Justify with last line aligned left" to not break the word at the end of the sentence?

picture.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untick Hyphenation checkbox in the control panel, or in the paragraph panel, or better in the paragraph style options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super! Thank you very much 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaannd another question: is it possible to underline only a single word in a paragraph? I'm trying to do this but it underlines the whole paragraph and I don't want that.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the word and alt click on the underline icon. A window will appear and you will be able to choose the thickness, color and offset of the underline.

Capture d’écran 2022-03-31 à 10.27.05.jpg

You could also setup a character style to be more efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be even better to define a Character Style that does nothing more than add the underline. If there is a recognizeable pattern to the word that needs to be underlined you can then automatically apply this character style using either a Nested Style or GREP Style as part of the paragraph style definition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a character style for a single word with the attribute underline. Never work without Paragraph and Character Styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2022 Apr 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank youu 🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines