Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Keep Layer Visibility Overrides not working correctly for modified PSD

Participant ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a layered PSD which is used 4 times in an InDesign file, where 3 instance have the layers set on/off one way and one instane has the layers set on/off in a different way. I want the placed PSD versions to retain the layer on/off settings I've made in the IMPORT OTIONS dialogue box for each version of the same PSD, which is what I have set in the yellow circle in the screenshot, but it doesn't seem to keep the overrides.

I've opened the PSD and simply just turned off a layer and re-save the file, so that the thumbnail preview looks a certain way when viewed in any file explorer. But by doing this, InDesign has a message pop up with only an OK button telling me that a change has occured in the PSD and will revert to the updated layer on/off view that exists in the PSD as it was last saved, which negates any PSD layer overrides I set in InDesign, for each instance of the same PSD.

Is this a bug? Any help will be appreciated on this.Thanks!

1.png

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign, Photoshop, OS?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's InDesign 17.0

PhotoShop 23.0.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to reproduce the screenshot of theOK only message box that was saying something about it would revert to the layer settings of the saved file, but strangely now I can't get that message. But the problem is still there that all versions just default to the saved layer config in the PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you add a new layer item in Photoshop, you will get the following dialog box when updating in InDesign:

image.png

As it states, the new layer will reset everything back to the original PS layer settings.

If you make changes to a layer (directly or adjust an existing adj. layer), you will keep you layer settings. 

This preference is supposed to fix the problem with new layers, but didn't make any difference in my tests:

image.png

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ok, thanks for this. Yes I believe I actually had grouped two layers which created the "new" folder layer, when I had done a re-save. Good to know about that check box. It seems like a related problem like the layer overrides not keeping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you work with layer overrides on psd files you should not do that in InDesign.

1. In Photohsop open your layer panel and the layer composition panel
  2. Make for each override a saved state in the layer composition panel (visibility, blending mode, position, etc.)
  3. Save the file as PSD
  4. When you import (place) the file in InDesign (or in Illustator) activate the import options.
  5. Select the Layer composition you want for the specific image, don't change the layer visibility manually in InDesign.
  6. If you need to place twice the same image on the same place, copy it on the same place (or do it on another layer on the very same place) and relink it again, so you will get the import options dialogue and relink the same image with a different composition state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willi,

I'm not really clear on what you are suggesting that is different from what I stated that I did? 

1. Ctrl+D (Place)
  2. Pick my PSD
  3. Hit the check box for IMPORT OPTIONS
  4. Turn various layers on or off in the Import Options
  5.  Hit OK
  6. Repeat the steps for another copy of the same PSD, but just change which layers to have on or off in the Import Options

Thanks for any additional clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem I'm coming across is that InDesign is NOT obeying the Update Link Options: Keep Layer Visitibility Overrides, all copies of the same psd are just changing to whatever layer stated was saved in the PSD, whenever I simply just change the layer on/off in Photoshop and resave the PSD. My understanding is that each copy of the same PSD in InDesign should obey whatever layer on/off settings are made in the IMPORT OPTIONS when you have Update Link Options: Keep Layer Visitibility Overridess selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines