• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Korean text won't display

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble with a text translated into Korean displaying properly in Indesign (and PDF exports).

The file was laid out in English first. I saved a copy, then pasted in Korean text and converted the text to YuGothic, but all I'm seeing is x-ed out boxes.

I followed the same procedure as I already used to swap out the English text with Chinese text (in PingFang) and Japanese text (in YuMincho). Those both worked fine.

The malfunctioning Korean text is not highlighted in pink, the way it appears when one doesn't *have* the selected font. Instead it's appearing as boxes. YuGothic appears in my dropbox list of fonts as an Open Type font, just like YuMincho and PingFang do.

What am I missing? How can I get this font to display properly?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

I don't know YuGothic, but if I toss that term into Google the top link identifies it as  Japanese font. Not all Japanese fonts have Korean glyphs. You should try marking it as Malgun Gothic (if on Windows) or as AppleGothic (if on Mac) and see if it renders then.

For what it's worth, both operating systems tend to default to Japanese fonts whenever they are confronted with CJK text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know YuGothic, but if I toss that term into Google the top link identifies it as  Japanese font. Not all Japanese fonts have Korean glyphs. You should try marking it as Malgun Gothic (if on Windows) or as AppleGothic (if on Mac) and see if it renders then.

For what it's worth, both operating systems tend to default to Japanese fonts whenever they are confronted with CJK text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also: PingMing is a Chinese font. And since it's supposedly a new Chinese font for macOS (or maybe iOS? or both? I can't tell), then I now know which platform you are on and can guide you to additional Hangul font choices if you need assistance with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, what are some other Hangul fonts one might have hanging around in Adobe Creative Suite on Mac computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has released high quality free font, Source Han Sans Korean and Source Han Serif Korean with seven weights family. Available from Typekit or GitHub.

https://typekit.com/fonts/source-han-sans-korean

https://typekit.com/fonts/source-han-serif-korean

https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-han-serif

https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-han-sans

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also tried this font.  Only getting Boxes with X in them for each character

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also "Korean" does not show as option in language dropdown in Indesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kozuka is a Japanese font, which means that it shares many Chinese forms ("kanji") with Korean, but I wouldn't count on it including all the chars. in Korean hangul.  I don't know about CC versions, but older Western-language versions of InDesign didn't come with the attributes for CJK languages built-in.  However, the first time you import a word-processor file containing text set to Chinese, Japanese or Korean it would pick up that attribute and make it available thereafter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I mark it as AppleGothic or otherwise?  I've selected the Korean Font (Kozuka) which is in my Typekit.  Set Korean as an optional language on my computer. Nothing seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AppleGothic worked!! Thank you!!! (I thought my Korean contact directed me to YuGothic but perhaps I misunderstood.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, with Adobe you get Adobe Myungjo and Adobe Gothic. Not exciting, but reliable. From macOS you should also have Apple SD Gothic Neo, with a pretty wide array of weights. Also you get a series of "Nanum" fonts including a brush script and a pen script. If you scroll down in your font list in ID to the place where Korean fonts are housed, you will almost certainly find some more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I did find one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Malgun Gothic font family will work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried to find Malgun Gothic: no matches found. I 'm having the same problem in InDesign on my MAC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Malgun Gothic is a default font for Windows, so it's not surprising that you don't find it on your Mac. If you look a few messages up in this thread you'll find names for default Mac Korean fonts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines