Large PDF reading order is wrong when exported from InDesign

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All.
I have an iPDF which has been built in InDesign which is 103 pages. I have made the document accessible and I have covered all components when it comes to reading order (Articles, Layers ect.).
The issue is as soon as the document is exported the reading order is jumbled, everything looks fine in the tags panel and content panel but when read using JAWs the order is wrong. Here is the catch: if the document is exported with 49 pages (any combination of pages) or less JAWs reads the document perfectly but as soon as more than 49 pages are exported the reading order breaks.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the text in one single thread, at least per page, or did you put the text in independent frames?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is only one text frame in most pages of the document so I have not created a thread between pages, the strange part is everything reads fine in JAWs as long as I do not exceed 49 pages so I do not know if creating a thread will solve the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does Acrobat or Reader read all of the pages in the correct order? (View> Read out loud), if so, the problem may be in JAWs, is it fully updated? Are there any preferences limiting the page number? I don't use JAWs, but you could try running an Acrobat Preflight profile on a copy of your pdf, which may help, "Fix problems in PDF tagging structure". Tools> Print production> Preflight.  Also, go to Tools> Accessibility> Reading order.

tagging preflight.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines