• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Latest Indesign links issue - "search for missing links in this folder" button greyed out

Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned above. When I go to relink in any of my indesign files - using any folders - the Search for Missing Links in This folder option is greyed out. Have tried other servers, files and folders - same issue. Have tried deleting preferences and going back to default settings - same issue. Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling indesign - same issue.

Any ideas why its greyed out now?

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance , Print , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

This has been solved. When opening a packaged .indd file and seeing "Issues with Links" alert with yellow triangle:

1. Click "update modified links"

2a. You *may* be able to simply go to the links options (three lines/hamburger icon) and select "Update all Links"

OR

2b. You might need to first select one of the links, then select "Relink to Folder" then choose the Links folder that is in the packaged folder to designate where Id should find the links. THEN select from the Links options menu "Update

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the InDesign preferences and see if it helps

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team is also experiencing this same problem, the "Search for Missing Links in this Folder" option is greyed out when we try to update links and the solution below is not working.

We package our InDesign files so all links are collected into a Links folder within a folder that results from the packaging process. Once another person downloads the packaged folder from our shared drive all the links "break." The only solution is to relink every image file individually and this takes FOREVER. I tried restarting InDesign and immediately pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, then clicked YES to "delete the preference files," but this has not helped. When I'm in the Links folder within my document and I hover over the 'Relink' icon, I see a tip that says "opt+click to relink all files." This does nothing, not even the image I've currently selected is relinked.

I am working on a MacBook Pro, OS 12.2.1, using InDesign 17.3.; my colleagues are also using our InDesign team license but working on Windows operating systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they use the unaltered (name of folders) inside the package? As soon as the indd file is dragged out of the package folder all links break of course. (I've seen people dragging the .indd file to the desktop for instance)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the file names or folder names are altered. We download the entire packaged folder, the indd file is not dragged out of the folder at any time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the link posted by Manan Joshi above also recommends renaming the Caches and Preferences files with Libraries but this also had no effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been solved. When opening a packaged .indd file and seeing "Issues with Links" alert with yellow triangle:

1. Click "update modified links"

2a. You *may* be able to simply go to the links options (three lines/hamburger icon) and select "Update all Links"

OR

2b. You might need to first select one of the links, then select "Relink to Folder" then choose the Links folder that is in the packaged folder to designate where Id should find the links. THEN select from the Links options menu "Update all Links."

All links should then update at once from that folder.

The opt+click-on-link icon at bottom of the Links list doesn't appear to be working any longer for relinking all the links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that! Thanks for sharing the solution. I am sure it will help other community members.  Feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried als these options, still it does not seem to work. I't may be bacause it's not a packaged folder.
All images are in a database on dropbox, any other ways to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having this issue now. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the selected correct answer above solved the issue for me, I hope it does for you as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. I know how to update modified links. The issue is that the box to check "Search for Missing Links in this Folder" is grayed out, and when I select a link from the links palette, go to the burger menu and choose Relink to Folder, it ONLY updates that one link, and does not search for and update other links. That is what the issue is. Why is that option grayed out? See attached screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, Thank you for replying to me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah - thats a hit and miss situaiton for me. I have noticed it greys out on JPG and PNG files, and I have to relink them individually, but only on those types. Plus, I have not updated to the latest version as of yet, and am hoping it is resolved in the newest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh wow, not good! - the document I am working in has a mix of every file type - psd, jpg, ai, pdfs! Not quite sure what is going on. I opened another document that also has a mix, and that function is NOT grayed out, and works fine. So, maybe it is dependent on the document...ugh..i'll have to investigate further. Oh, and I am using the latest version of INDD. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - I re-named the "Links" folder (I am working with packaged INDD docs provided by an outside agency) to "Images"and that worked - the "Search for Missing Links...." button was NOT grayed out!! I had to re-link one or two different images first, but then it starting re-linking all images automatically!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
an hour ago an hour ago

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll tell you exactly what is happening. The thing is, your links are not 'MISSING'. You just need to 'UPDATE' your links. But, you don't want to do that from the folder when the links are actually linking to. In order to fix the issue do this: Go to the folder where the document is trying to link and change the name of the folder. Now the inks in your document will me 'MISSING'. Now you can go back to your document and 'RELINK'. The options to search for missing links in this folder will be available again. (Now remember to re-rename the original folder you changed the name)

And that is it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

interesting idea - will try this next time it happens - thanks for the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines