• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layers are lost when saving as PDF

Contributor ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving a single page document from InDesign as a PDF all layer information is lost.

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 14.39.24.png

All the layers exist but are jumbled up in one layer and unnamed in a clip group. Why is this?

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 14.44.12.png

I then have to rebuild thus:

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 14.45.55.png

I then have to rebuild the layer sequence order in Illustrator for subsequent delivery to AfterEffects and Premiere. It is important to do this as the latest updates of Premiere Pro, After Effects and Media Encoder don't support PNG files

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that Jane is right. I think a soluton would be for your employer to set up an Illustrator training class.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When all you have is a hammer, the whole word is a nail!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Birmingham screwdriver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, the teams we work with are pretty clued up and have adopted InDesign. We know the capabilities of Adobe Illustrator. It was InDesign I was asking for technical help with to speed up the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i agree, seems like this could all be done in illustrator. Seems like the user is creating more work for himself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always tell the graphic designers I need Illustrator files, but they say InDesign is much better as they are designing assets for the apps and print. So all the text and layout and storyboard is originated in InDesign it never exists in Illustrator.

The system works very well except for this rebuilding of the layers. The work has to be done at some point in the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your previous posts, it seems as if you are trying to solve a problem not of your making...

Graphic design cannot be done with just one tool. Most print work requires one to use InDesign, Photoshop, some Illustrator, and possibly Acrobat. For print, EPUBs, PDFs, and apps, I would agree with the designers. (For EPUBs and apps, you could had Animate to the list of programs.)

For Video--Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Audition would be the better choices.

They are mistaken for video however--Illustrator or Photoshop would be the "better" tool for creating external graphics. Both Photoshop and Illustrator have resets for video; note that InDesign does not.

In Premiere Pro, Photoshop layers are supported; Illustrator layers are flattened and rasterized.

In After Effects, both Photoshop and Illustrator layers are supported. AE also supports continuous rastazeration of AI files.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IDEAS-Training  wrote

… In Premiere Pro, Photoshop layers are supported; Illustrator layers are flattened and rasterized.

In After Effects, both Photoshop and Illustrator layers are supported. AE also supports continuous rastazeration of AI files.

So in the end it would be cool if Premiere Pro and After Effects would be able to either support PDF Layers or would be able to work with InDesign documents ( or maybe IDML as exchange format ), right?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cool... possibly, but I think we would probably see support for AI layers in Premiere Pro first.

However, one [should] never says never...

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines