• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Limit drop caps to only first paragraph

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I apply drop caps in a paragraph style, it applied the drop caps to every single paragraph in the text box. I want to limit it to only the first paragraph of a text box. Please let me know how I can do this

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

1. Place your cursor in only the first paragraph. You don't even have to highlight the entire paragraph. Just make sure the first paragraph is the only paragraph highlighted.

2. Apply the drop cap feature/paragraph style. In this case, it will only be applied to the first paragraph.

To apply the style on the fly, create a new paragraph style called Drop Cap with your drop cap style, and another called No Drop Cap with all the type attributes of the first style, except with no drop cap attribut

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new style, based on the other but with the drop cap added. Set the original style to be the Next Style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dropcap.PNG

I've created a new paragraph style (called paragraph "style 1") which is based on the original style (called "body") then I set the next style to the same one (body). But its still the same. What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would double-check to make sure that "Body" doesn't have a drop cap setting.

You want "Paragraph Style 1" to have a drop cap setting, but "Body" not to have one. Once that's set, the rest of your configuration should work fine. Just highlight all the type and make it "Body", then click your cursor into the first paragraph and make it "Paragraph Style 1" to set the exception to your overall "Body" rule.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i agree with 

Next style is the solution, the drop caps will be applied on the first paragraph and next paragraph is without drop carps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Place your cursor in only the first paragraph. You don't even have to highlight the entire paragraph. Just make sure the first paragraph is the only paragraph highlighted.

2. Apply the drop cap feature/paragraph style. In this case, it will only be applied to the first paragraph.

To apply the style on the fly, create a new paragraph style called Drop Cap with your drop cap style, and another called No Drop Cap with all the type attributes of the first style, except with no drop cap attributes. Then go back to the Drop Cap paragraph style and choose the No Drop Cap style from the Next Style: options box. As others have said here, that will apply the drop cap to the first paragraph and no drop caps to subsequent paragraphs when you highlight it all and apply the style.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do everything with just one style. You will need different paragraph styles for every format change.

To be clear, I don't mean every paragraph, just the changes between settings. For example, Body, Body_DropCap, etc. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines