• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Line Sheet

Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to know what  a line sheet is, I have been asked to make one so that they can see my work?

Does this make sense? 

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Are you in the fashion business?

In the rag trade, a line sheet is a set of product sheets which illustrate the complete offerings from a given designer or fashion house. Basically, a loose-bound catalog for fashion buyers to pick which products (and sometimes, with room for notations so buyers can jot down how many of each item, in which colors) they'd like to buy.

If you're not in the fashion biz, you're likely dealing with someone else who is, or was, or somehow is related to it. I imagin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

He just wanted a proof and he was happy with it and he paid. Don't know why he was calling it a line sheet. 

Thanks for your help it's much appreciated. I love this forum I always get quick answers to my questions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you in the fashion business?

In the rag trade, a line sheet is a set of product sheets which illustrate the complete offerings from a given designer or fashion house. Basically, a loose-bound catalog for fashion buyers to pick which products (and sometimes, with room for notations so buyers can jot down how many of each item, in which colors) they'd like to buy.

If you're not in the fashion biz, you're likely dealing with someone else who is, or was, or somehow is related to it. I imagine the concept can be expanded outside the trade, but I've rarely heard of that being the case.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Randy, 

No, I am not in the fashion industry, but I have a feeling what he wants from me is a proof, he wants me to make a catalog cover, and then on the back an explanation or bullet points of what they do.  He said I want people to look at the front and back of this page and know exactly what we do, and he said I'd like a line sheet. 

I was thinking it was one of those really big proof sheets, with the color bars and bleeds on it, like they do on those big web sheets for magazines.  I'll just ask him because honestly, I don't think he knows truly what he is saying. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as the line sheet goes, I'd imagine you could produce one for any type of widget. If you search Google, you can get some good ideas of several different versions of line sheets you can adapt for your needs. But I'd be wary. It kinda sounds like he wants you to do his complete job — editorial, design and production — on spec.

I wouldn't. Not until I had a solid deal in my hand for payment and terms for completing his job, anyway. And a retainer/deposit that would cover me if I had problems getting paid on the back end.

As a counter-proposal, I'd suggest that I'd be happy to provide dummy layouts with sample text for his review. If he wants you to produce the job for him, he needs to contract with you and pay you to do it. And if you've got the resources, I might put out a couple of feelers to find someone who's done similar work for him before. That doesn't sound like someone who wants to give you work; it sounds like someone hoping to take it.

Folks don't just ask for you out of the blue for something like this. If he's asking you to do the complete project for him before he gives you the job, I'd contend that he's pretty practiced at it.

Be pleasant, but be wary.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He just wanted a proof and he was happy with it and he paid. Don't know why he was calling it a line sheet. 

Thanks for your help it's much appreciated. I love this forum I always get quick answers to my questions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unless they are getting mixed up with another old printing term: Back "in the day" (pre-computer), we used to provided our clients "blue lines", which were quick and cheap monochrome (same as blue architect paper) proofs of traditional negative stripping work. I have come across the odd "old school" client that still uses the term blue line for proofs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines