• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked Excel File Will Not Update

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having major issues trying to get my linked spreadsheet to update when I make a change. I have found vague articles and video tuts on this subject but nothing is working. I know the file is linked because when I do make a change in Excel, Indesign shows the warning triangle in the links panel but the update link icon is grayed out. I have formated the table in excel and can bring in the formatted table and it looks great. However, it will not update. I have seen articles that show the warning triangle actually show up on the top of the text box. Not showing up for me. What the hell am I doing wrong?

indesign.JPG

If anybody can help me and want the files to check out shoot me an email.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? If you choose View > Extras, is Show Link Badge selected? If you select the frame with the table does the link highlight? In my testing I have no problem updating. If you're using an older version of InDesign, you may need to save the Excel file as an .xls and not an .xlsx. We just need more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Chad,

I am using version 14.0.3. I tried updating to 15.0.1 but it keeps getting hung up at 30% and won't complete update. Show link badge is selected. Link highlights when I select frame. It is a .xlsx. If you want me to send the files to you I can.

Update: I have been experimenting a bit. I noticed that when I place my formatted table into indesign as unformatted the grayed out link becomes available. Why does it work for unformatted and not the formatted?

Update 2: Ok. So I figured out that in order for the update link to become active you actually have to close the excel source file. I thought that you could have the file open in excel and the indesign file open together but apparently you have to close the excel file then update in indesign. Quite counterproductive to have to reopen, edit, then close excel to get it to work. I thought it was real time like a PSD file where you can edit a photoshop image, save, and update in indesign without closing Photoshop. If I am missing something please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the answer, that did it for me. However, I just realised I want to update the range, do you know how to do it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The formatted or unformatted table won't make any difference. 

Many programs put "hooks" into a file when it is open, preventing other programs from accessing the data while the file is open. Many Adobe-to-Adobe programs and many Microsoft-to-Microsoft programs don't have an issue working together because the company took time to make it work. Once one switches between two different companies, it's less common that the software can work together like you want. 

BTW, you don't have to close Excel--just close the document with a Cntl-w or Cmd-w. Excel should release the file so ID can update it. That will save some time opening and closing the actual program.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply but I was hoping to get an answer on how to change the data range. IE, lets say if I have selected A8:D8 to be imported and formatted it properly, how can I then change it to A5:E15 for example? For this small document I am working on now it is not a big deal but lets say if I was working on a larger dataset then the work flow would ideally be a bit smoother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You piggy-backed on another person's unrelated question. You don't want to _update_ the range, but you want to _change_ the range. You should really start a new topic discussion since that is a completely different issue. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines