• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked InDesign file with hyperlinks not working when exported as Interactive PDF

New Here ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Indesign file that has been placed as a link in another InDesign file, it's a footer so it contains contact info. When I export the file as an Interactive PDF (or even as a Print PDF), the hyperlinks do not work.

So far I have figured out that it's because the actual URL is different to the text that it's linked to (for example, the text will be 'Website' but the hyperlink URL is 'https://www.whatagreatwebsite.com').

When the text matches the URL hyperlink, it works fine when exported as a PDF (both interactive and print) but not when they don't match, does anyone know how to make this work when using an InDesign file placed into another InDesign file?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only direct writtn URLs are detected upon PDF export. If you place an INDD file in another INDD file it is technically the very same as if you would export a PDF/X-4 and place that into an INDD file. It is an image placed in INDD.

If you want to get URLs alive, you have to place the text into the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.

It does work though, as long as the URL matches the URL in the Hyperlink panel. It exports just fine as a PDF when it's an InDesign file in another InDesign file, however if the text in my linked InDesign file is different from it's URL in the Hyperlink panel it does't work. Is there any way to make this work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Acrobat, by default, will detect those URLs. Turn that off in your Acrobat preferences and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off 'Create links from URLs'? Or is there another preference I need to switch off?

That one stops all links working no matter how they're displayed, I need the links to work and direct to a webpage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you turn that off and nothing works it's because you haven't actually created the hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I have created them, it's only when the text doesn't match what's in the Hyperlink panel.

It work just fine if it's a stand alone InDesign file but not when it's an InDesign file placed into another InDesign file (unless of course the URL text matches EXACTLY what's in the hyperlinks panel/menu but web page links are often stupidly long so I want to change the linked text to something shorter). See my original screengrabs/uploaded images above, one way works, the other doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably a better, more accurate image:

InDesign-Link-Problem.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have just tested this to make sure there was nothing else going on. When I turn that preference off in Acrobat, an autodetected URL will not work, but a hyperlink I created manually worked fine. There is something else going on here but it's specific to your set up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

URLs in placed documents won't work.

You'll need to create a blank frame over the link and insert a hyperlink - like creating a hotspot on a webpage - or just a blank button over a link. 

Unfortunately, this is how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I've been playing with a similar method, putting the whole URL under the linked text, creating a hyperlink and then making it 0% transperency, it's been hit and miss.

Again though, URL's DO WORK in placed documents but only when the linked text is exactly the same as the hyperlink URL in the hyperlink panel/window. It's when you change the text to something else, that's when it stops working, well, for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As pointed out that's because Acrobat is autoreading the hyperlink and making it automatically.

That won't work for all PDF readers as they don't all have that capability - and I think it's also a preference in PDF readers. 

It should work with a blank rectangle set to no colour - and then hyperlink it. 

But if the full URL works - then use that instead - but it may not work everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines