• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking an image from SharePoint online (OneDrive sync)

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*** UPDATE *** This does work, but it's very important to ensure both devices sync the SharePoint Online document library in EXACTLY the same way. The relative paths need to match and then InDesign will be able to work with files in SharePoint Online. For example on one device if you sync the doc library from top Documents level so the InDesign file is in Documents\Folder 1\Folder 2, then on the other devices, they must sync from the Documents level so that their paths match. I would advise not using "Shortcut to OneDrive" as that causes issues, just use the "Sync" function and this should all work. If it doesn't, check the paths to the file and see if they match, it's likely that someone has clicked the Sync button from a different folder level. Ignore the fact that InDesign shows the link as C:\Users\USERNAME as this will update on the other device to their user profile location. (presuming they're both using the same default location)

Original question:

Hi all!

We have an issue with linking images from SharePoint Online document libraries. All the info I can find online points towards using OneDrive sync, but that doesn't work. As per the below screenshot, you can see that the path for the image is still local. Anyone else who wants to edit this file, won't be able to see this image. Is there a way to link via URL or directly from a SharePoint Online library?

InDesign.PNG

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Import and export , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

With syncing the paths are relative to the sync folder. Here’s a Dropbox example that I’ve shared and sync’d to another account in my studio. Both the InDesign file and its linked PSD file are in the shared folder:

The Status is Normal on my machine and the path is relative to my Dropbox folder:

Screen Shot 9.png

On the shared computer, the link Status is still Normal. The absolute paths are different, but the path relative to the Dropbox sync folder is the same:

Screen Shot 2023-06-22 at 12.04.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experience the same frustrations. I wish there was a better integration with online resources like SharePoint. You can add your ideas to Adobe InDesign (uservoice.com).

In previous versions of SharePoint, I was able to link files. https://youtu.be/rBSMGRET7Ws

In most recent versions, it has been impossible, I moved to Creative Cloud storage.

By the way, you can create a Shortcut to your OneDrive (instead of sync) from a library. but it still downloads the opened files.

Advice on Using Adobe InDesign CC and Microsoft SharePoint to share project files. Windows OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric, thanks for the reply.

I really want to avoid paying for Creative Cloud storage as we already have a cloud storage solution that we pay for. I also don't use the Shortcut to OneDrive option as it mixes up OneDrive and SharePoint. I find the sync option is much better for managing files in SharePoint. It's only this issue that occurs due to the way InDesign manages linking files, other apps are OK.

This feels like a simple feature that even linking to a URL could fix. Ideally, full integration with SharePoint Online would be better, but I wouldn't expect that to be a feature to come along any time soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SimonEdwards_ublox , InDesign links have to be local—either an on an attached volume or your LAN. You can not link to a web URL. For remote collaborations to work, the collaborators all have to sync to a local job folder via a sync’ing service (e.g. DropBox, or your Adobe CC account).

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/do-indesign-links-work-with-adobe-cloud-multiple-users/td-p/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is with OneDrive sync, the file path includes the username (see highlighted path in the screenshot) so it doesn't work for other people accessing the document. I believe this will be the same for DropBox and other cloud storage apps, as the sync folder location is within the user's profile.

It seems a bit archaic to still rely on local folder locations, when so many of us now use cloud solutions. Even a basic URL link would solve this issue. I certainly don't want to have to pay Adobe for yet another storage solution just for InDesign not being able to handle SharePoint Online files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use OneDrive sharing all the time and it works fine even across platforms as does Dropbox. I'd need to see what you're doing to analyze why you're having issues but I can tell you with 100% certainty that collaborating this way works.

The only issue is that InDesign lock files do not sync so it's essential that everyone communicate properly to avoid conflicted copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @BobLevine, that's great that you have it working. Would you mind telling me how you did it?

In my original post, I highlighted the local path that the user sees when linking a file that's located in a SharePoint document library (using the Sync option). When they share this InDesign file with someone else, the image is pointing to the local path which of course doesn't work as the user profile and image doesn't exist in that location on any other device. If you've managed to find another way of doing this, it would be a huge benefit to us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's not much to tell. The OneDrive or Dropbox folder is shared and synced locally to each user's computer.

It may sound cliche, but it just works. That said, I do not know how Sharepoint fits into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send a screenshot showing the UNC path of the linked image from OneDrive, please? I'll be interested to see how it looks on your computer vs another and if the UNC path shows differently.

If I go into file explorer and check the folders within OneDrive, they still start with C:\Users\USERNAME.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following as I am having this exact same issue.  We just performed a migration to SharePoint Online and didnt expect these results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Safari25626738yvpg  I've updated this with how to get it to work. In short, just sync from the same location on both devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not tried Sharepoint, but usually syncing services install a root syncing folder, and any files inside of the root automatically sync, and invites can be sent for syncing/sharing individual folders inside of the root. I can set up a job folder, invite a collaborator to share, and the invitee doesn’t need to do anything, the job folder will automatically sync to their root folder.

With Adobe’s cloud service the default location is User/Creative Cloud Files, with Dropbox it is User/Dropbox. Both let you choose a different root folder—in case you don’t want it on your startup drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's how they show...and they sync properly with the other collaborators. The same thing happens in a cross-platform collaboration. The links and the way they are structured work properly. Again, I don't know why it's not working for you but what happens if you remove Sharepoint from the equation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you show me a screenshot of the linked file working and the UNC path being used, please? Being in OneDrive or SharePoint shouldn't matter, as it's the same tool under the hood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When they share this InDesign file with someone else

How are you "sharing" the file? In a sync’d workflow all the collaborators have to be invited to sync. With Adobe’s service the job folder to be inside of the Creative Cloud Files folder in order to sync, and to share the job folder with another user an invitation has to be sent and accepted:

Screen Shot 4.png

In the above example if there are 4 invited collaborators, there will be a copy of the Color folder and its contents on all 4 computers. If any of the collaborators edit a file, the modified file is automatically updated on all 4 machines when they have an internet connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @rob day, we're not using Adobe Creative Cloud. We're just saying the InDesign file that's located in a SharePoint document library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we're not using Adobe Creative Cloud

All the syncing services work the same. With Dropbox you send out sync invites via right-click>Share:

Screen Shot 8.png

In this case the linked .PSD file will be local on all of the collaborator’s machines, and the path will be relative to the Dropbox root sync folder ...user/Dropbox/JobFolder/PhiGlass.psd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows for Dropbox, OneDrive, SharePoint etc the path to the synchronised folder starts C:\users\USERNAME as you can see in the below screenshot. You're right in terms of the path after this is the same, but with InDesign it keeps the first part of the UNC path which is why it breaks for other users. I.e. on another device C:\user\sedw doesn't exists, so InDesign can't find the image file.

SimonEdwards_ublox_0-1687448613355.png

I believe what you're doing in your screenshot is storing the image file next to the InDesign one. That may be an option, but I believe we have our images stored in a different location to the InDesign document. Though even if they were stored in the same location, I think we would still run into the same issue. Perhaps it works differently on MacOS than Windows10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With syncing the paths are relative to the sync folder. Here’s a Dropbox example that I’ve shared and sync’d to another account in my studio. Both the InDesign file and its linked PSD file are in the shared folder:

The Status is Normal on my machine and the path is relative to my Dropbox folder:

Screen Shot 9.png

On the shared computer, the link Status is still Normal. The absolute paths are different, but the path relative to the Dropbox sync folder is the same:

Screen Shot 2023-06-22 at 12.04.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if it's the difference between how MacOS and Windows handle the sync folder. We've got the same relative folder structure after the user folder, but I'm not sure if Windows is making the first part dynamic, hence why other users are seeing broken images when the InDesign file is shared. Unfortunately, I'm working half-blind as I don't have InDesign myself, so having to work with the user on this. If it does work as you're saying, there could be a chance that they're doing something different or simply Windows is handling it differently.

SimonEdwards_ublox_0-1687507455005.png

I also came across this feature request that was raised all the way back in 2018 that is requesting this very same thing. So there are other people with this issue.  - https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/34266232-re...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well.. I feel a bit silly. Turns out the user hadn't actually tested this at all! Even though InDesign shows the C:\Users\USERNAME path, it ignores this when someone else opens the file. As long as they have synced the files from SharePoint Online in the EXACT same way so that the paths match, this works. As an added bonus, it's clever enough to pull down the images when the InDesign document is opened, if the image hasn't been accessed before (i.e. is in the Cloud Only state)

Kudos to @rob day and @BobLevine for the help on this one. Lesson learnt, always check for yourself!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be an option, but I believe we have our images stored in a different location to the InDesign document.

All of the InDesign placed assets have to be stored somewhere inside of the shared folder, otherwise the Status will be Missing for all of the collaborators except one. There can be any number of nested folders and files inside of the root—in my example something like JobFolder/Images/PSDs/PhiGlass.psd would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be an option? That is the way it works. This has nothing to do with operating system or even platform.

InDesign can only see the files locally. There is one thing I can think of that might help you but it's not going to be free. Check into this: Digital Asset Management - Silicon Connector (siliconpublishing.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, as SImon says above, we have been using InDesign and Sharepoint for a while now. As long as all the files are on SharePoint, everyone has the SharePoint synced the same way, and no one copies files anywhere else on the hard drive, it will work properly.

The issue we have with InDesign files is that if one person has fonts installed on their computer that others don't have, InDesign wants to replace them with another font. Even when both have the same fonts and install them the same way (drag and drop into the WIndows fonts folder), it sometimes won't recognise that they are the same fonts. You can select them in InDesign'd fonts drop down, but if I replace (e.g. theri Gill Sans Std with my Gill Sans Std) then they get the message that Adobe doesn't support it anymore or can't find it. I am assuming that is because Adobe stores fonts locally rather than in SharePoint? Has anyone else had this problem and have a solution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're all on Windows, it's best when installing fonts to do so by right-clicking and installing that way. Be sure to select for all users. Otherwise, put the fonts in a document fonts folder in the folder that has the InDesign file. The fonts don't even need to be installed that way.

Make sure you're not using any Type 1 fonts and if you have any follow-ups, it's best to start a new discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines