• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

List of Figures

New Here ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a list of figures in the beginning of a report. It looks great "Figure 1: Title....Page #". However, the actual figure numbers have changed and have continued numbering after the list. So Figure 1 is Figure 1 in the List of Figures, but on the actual page it's Figure 44, which is the next number in the sequence.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Pics below. list of figs.PNG

fig44.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

You cannot, without breaking the automatic figure numbering.

You and I see Figure 1, 2, 3, but InDesign only sees the ^# and does the automatic numbering.

You can't crack the code unless you want to destroy your numbering. The only way to break it is to create another file for your ToC, as I said.

In retrospect, the problem lies in automating your bullets and then incorporating it into your Table of Contents. The fastest fix is to separate your table of contents from your report InDesign file. But

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your report made up of more than one InDesign document? Do you, in fact, have 43 figures before page 13? And how are you generating your list of figures? Are you using InDesign Table of Contents or Indexing functions to generate your list of figures?

Answers to these questions will help us help you. We need to know a little more about how you generated your figures list and how your InDesign report is built to be able to help you.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding! It is only 1 InDesign Document. I'm using a paragraph and character style for my Figure Numbers and a paragraph style for my FIG TITLE. I then created a TOC paragraph and character style for my TOC List of Figs. I also have a Table of Contents Style, which is below.

When I create the Table of Contents List of Figs, it generates the Figure Numbers, but then continues the numbering onto the Figures themselves, where they should start at Figure 1, Figure 2, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so let me see if I've got this right:

You're generating the List of Figures through ToC functions, based on a Paragraph Style of FIG TITLE. It contains Character Styles to stylize the "Figure #:" within the paragraph.

The ToC generates the figure numbers, based on something independent of the ToC functions and Paragraph/Character styling. You're getting the correct layout as specified in the ToC generation – Name, Page #, formatting. But you're getting divergent numbering starting with page 13/Figure 44.

I've got some more questions:

Why aren't Figures 1-43 listed in the ToC text? Are the figure numbers text elements in the titles (literally typed in as Figure 1:, Figure 2:, etc.)? Or are they generated by metadata from the word processing program? It seems like there's some kind of inconsistency in how the Figure numbers are generated and how InDesign reads them. Often, some kind of data generation, like automated numbering, can cause problems – especially if it's generated externally.

I think the problem may lie in the Figure numbering itself, and how it's generated affects how we can get you past your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you have it correct! To answer your questions:

Figs 1-43 are listed in the TOC List of Figs.  However, when I delete the TOC List of Figs, Figure 44 goes back to Figure 1 (which is what it should be).

In the Paragraph Styles for the Figure Numbers, I'm using a bullet style. See below.

I know this can be done, I've done it before.  But the template I created wasn't quite right and I can't remember what I did to fix it.  I'm also thinking it has something to do with the numbering.  The titles come through just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like your ToC is reading a break in the sequence.

Let's try this first, then see if we need to do anything else:

Rerun your Figures ToC. But we'll generate a completely new one. Turn off the Replace Existing Table of Contents check box in the Table of Contents dialog box. Place it to the right of your page on the pasteboard and let me know if it places with the correct sequences and the correct Figure #s on the appropriate pages.

It could be that simple...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I did this correctly, I have 2 TOC list of figures, yes?  If so, they are both sequential as well as the actual figures themselves.  Does that make sense?  It's still changing the Figure Numbers on the figures themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do it, you will have two text blocks for your Table of Contents. Yes.

But if there's any corruption of data in that single instance, creating a new ToC will hopefully show if it's a single instance or if there's a bigger underlying problem. And if there is a bigger problem, maybe give us some insight to what's wrong and what needs to be done.

Now I've got new information here. Are the figures themselves changing numbering on the pages? Or just the numbers in your List of Figures?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The figures themselves are changing numbers to be in sequence with the TOC, when it should be the same Figure Number on both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha. Have you tried running the new ToC yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did run it, and the 2 are sequential, but so are the actual figures (same as before).

This should be Figure 1:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, let's revert back to a previous version and see how lucky we get. If you want, you can save as and rename this problem file.

As miserable as this first looks, we've identified the problem with your job. That data character which activates the automatic numbering when you generated your label figures is getting duplicated when you generate the ToC. Since it's not really Figure 1, but really the metadata product of Figure ^#, It's getting a double-entry when it's picked up and laid out in the Table of Contents, it becomes the source of your troubles. When we ran the second ToC, it bumped the listings for the tables up another notch and the problem continued.

OK, so now we've identified the problem. How do we get past it?

The fastest way would be to create a new InDesign document for your ToC.

1. Delete the old ToC documents to (hopefully) bring your figure captions back in line. Confirm that Figure 44/77 has turned back into Figure 1 before you continue. If it has, we're in business.

2. Since we've deleted the old ToCs, we need to create a new one. Format it the way you'd like. If you want to see if Figure 1 has changed back to Figure 44, you can. Select the laid out and formatted List of Tables, then use the Edit>Cut menu command to cut it and place it on your computer's clipboard.

3. Create a new InDesign document, and paste it in the new document. If the numbers aren't to your liking, copy your paragraph and Character styles from the report document and they should match up accordingly.

I think this will work for you. Let me know if it doesn't and we'll see what we can do to help.

Good luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I did Step 1 and the figures are back to the correct numbers. I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand Steps 2 & 3. Do you mean create a whole new Table of Contents Style?  If so, I tried and it's still incorrect. Is there a way to just change the Figure ^# part so it doesn't get a double entry?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot, without breaking the automatic figure numbering.

You and I see Figure 1, 2, 3, but InDesign only sees the ^# and does the automatic numbering.

You can't crack the code unless you want to destroy your numbering. The only way to break it is to create another file for your ToC, as I said.

In retrospect, the problem lies in automating your bullets and then incorporating it into your Table of Contents. The fastest fix is to separate your table of contents from your report InDesign file. But given the opportunity to start over, I'd suggest you incorporate the figure numbering as text elements in your title and sidestep this entirely. Since the file is already created – and undoubtedly at this point, near complete – I'd recommend the quick fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that stinks.  I'll create a new file then. I swear it has worked before though. Thank you so much for help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry. I wish I had better news for you, but I think this is the fastest fix for you.

If you could do me a favor and please mark this question as answered, I'd really appreciate it. That way moderators can archive this and help others who may find themselves in a similar spot.

Good luck with your job,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to ask: did what we discussed get you past your problem?

If so, would you please mark your question as answered so the moderators archive this for other people who have the same problem?

Thanks,

Randy Hagan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so sorry!! I got sidetracked and forgot to mark this one answered. 

Thanks again for all of your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not too late. You can mark it answered, and it will be put in the archive.

Unfortunately, the "Assumed Answered" setting is kind of a moderator-led purgatory for unanswered questions before they disappear. If this is answered, please mark it so and the moderators will send it to its assigned higher plane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2018 Sep 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It actually never was really answered, but more of a work around.  But since I did get a solution, I'll mark it answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, sometimes all we can offer is the answer that gets you past your problems, not the one which answers your desires ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I actually found a solution where I don't have to create a separate TOC file. I created a TOC List of Figs Paragraph Style.  In Options > Bullets and Numbering, List dropdown, choose Default. That made it work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines