Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Live captions and graphic frames on parent pages

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I'd like to set-up my parent pages so they have a placeholder frame I can drag an image into and a text frame with a live caption that automatically updates. My goal is:

• Specify the location of the image on each page in the parent page.
  • Specify the location of the caption associated with the image in the parent page.
  • Have the caption on a child page automatically update when I drag an image onto it. 

I created the graphic frame in the parent page and that works. After applying the parent page to the child pages I can drag images onto the child pages and they are displayed where I want and fitted as I want. 

I generated a live caption on parent page and the text displayed "No intersecting link" which I expect as the frame contains no image. I apply the design to my child pages. If I drag an image into a child page the image is displayed as I want but the live caption remains as "No intersecting link".

Is the specification of a layout that contains a placeholder graphic frame and live caption on a master page something that can be achieved? If so, what am I doing wrong? I did some google but didn't come up with much beyond someone complaining it didn't work in 2015. 

All help appreciated 🙂

BTW: I'm using the latest version of InDesign on a Mac.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

I solved this by not using the Generate Live Caption and instead following the instructions here which are to add a text frame then add a text variable. This seems to work fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this by not using the Generate Live Caption and instead following the instructions here which are to add a text frame then add a text variable. This seems to work fine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The variables method works well when you need more than one live caption--or you like more control over the placement of the caption. For simple one-caption options, the Generate Live Captions work well. 

Your original workflow should have worked fine. I do like my caption frames touching the image, however. I use text frame options to offset the text. 

I would go to Adobe's help pages before I trust an unknown tutorial on the internet. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have yet to find ID's caption feature useful in any project. Tying it to image data is... an extremely niche approach.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating a photo book and all my captions are in location and title metadata. It seems the obvious thing to want that to automatically be embedded in the book design when I add images. What do you do instead when you have a large number of images that you want to move around in a book with associated captions. Is it that my nice is the location info I've embedded in metadata perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Niche" not "nice". Sorry, autocorrect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're working with images that have all the info in metadata, ID's caption feature is much more useful.

That's just not a workflow everyone uses, outside of photographers, magazines and pictorial publishers. A more general caption utility would be nice for those of us who don't necessarily manage our images to that level. I'd rather be able to manage the caption as part of the text/layout process, not as a photo editing task.

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how this info is helping the OP solve their problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there was an original point, it's just not to use the Caption feature, but a more direct, manual process. Besides working better in all but a very narrow range of use, manual caption paragraphs, whether in text frames or not, grouped or not, may well get around some of the limitations of putting elements on parent pages.

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I did have a good look and couldn't find anything related to its use in parent pages. Following the steps for child pages (but not in parent pages) didn't seem to work. The unknown tutorial does work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created an image frame on the parent page with and without variable text frames, then, in the document pages, I inserted a photo. Both methods worked as expected. (I did not follow the tutorial.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Interesting, I suspect I have found a bug of some form with the Apple M1 compiled version of ID since we shouldn't do the same things and get different results :). You using the latest ID version? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... you definitely need to group the frame and text box for this to work BTW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign's caption feature is... somewhere between convoluted and useless. (I suppose it is of more use in environments like magazines, where images and their embedded data are more rigidly managed).

Some variation of using a separate paragraph for a caption is the only workable method. A grouped text box is not always necessary, though. You can do many captions simply with careful (style) formatting of  the graphics frame and following caption paragraph.

—

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not need to group in my tests.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @andys98318584 ,

to be very useful the feature is missing (at least) one option:

You cannot apply an object style automatically.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines