• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

location of custom PDF job options file

Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently Adobe changed the location where custom PDF job options files are stored. Some years ago, under Mac OS, the files used to be in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings, the issue is when we drop a custom job options file in this folder, InDesign and Illustrator will not read the file. Instead we we need to store the custom job options file to the new location /Users/zaidalhilali/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF.

I understood from a client that same changes were made to the location of custom PDF options files under Windows platform too.

Did Adobe announce these changes? Or, are the paths to the new storing location mentioned anywhere on Adobe site or perhaps on the "Adobe PDF Creation Settings"? I'm sure Offset printers, pre-press guys and designers do look for this information.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Zaid,

The location of the custom PDF job options changed quite a long time ago.

In fact I wrote about it in an InDesignSecrets.com blog post in 2007!

https://indesignsecrets.com/customizing-pdf-presets.php

Look down at the very end of the article:

"One other technical note is that this location has changed for Acrobat 8 Professional (and presumably Adobe Creative Suite 3). The file format for the “.joboptions” file hasn’t changed, however. The default settings are stored in these locations:

Macintosh:

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sukc, Both Mac and Windows systems hide huge numbers of files. Adobe didn’t decide to do this. I suspect Apple and Microsoft found that beginning users would delete what they didn’t understand and break stuff. Certainly I’ve often had a conversation where the question “why did you delete that [vital file]?” is met with a response like “I didn’t know what it was for”. I particularly remember someone deleting a file called MAIL and then complaining that they couldn’t find their mail. Overall, the learning curve to find them may be preferable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the kind reply, Test. I certainly understand the purpose of hiding files and/or folders that are not user-serviceable.

But this particular folder where customized pdf presets are kept shouldn't be one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple started hiding the user's library folder with Lion 10.8, I think the idea being an intermediate to advanced user would not have a problem learning how to reveal the folder, and it would prevent novices from inadvertently trashing needed files.

There is a security hierarchy of Library folders with the most secure being System/Library. You have to have admin privileges with a password to change Startup/Library. For the user library the only restriction is revealing the folder, which is relatively easy to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my observations of how many users work with their software poorly, I think it's a very smart idea for Apple to implement a security hierarchy like that. Since Apple handles many customer issues in the Genius Bars of their own stores they have a very clear idea of what their customers can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe are following Apple's recommendations, at least what they were recommending that week. Sometimes files get put in ~/Documents/applicationfolder but this vexes people who believe ~/Documents is only for the stuff they save. So developers end up using ~/Library/Application Support/applicationfolder. You'll find a great many files around there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I ask you a question even if it is not like the post of the post, but I did not understand how to open one.

Can anyone tell me why I no longer see the names of presets. Joboption in alphabetical order?

From a certain moment, both on the fixed MacPro and on the portable MacBookPro, I don't see them ordered, but in bulk ...

Tks

Massimiliano

Schermata 2019-03-25 alle 12.58.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sampigiampi  wrote

…Can anyone tell me why I no longer see the names of presets. Joboption in alphabetical order?

Hi Massimiliano,

I suspect the cause is a bug in OSX Mojave.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use OSX High Sierra...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright… 😉

Then the bug is with OSX High Sierra.

What's the exact version of your OS ?

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sampigiampi  wrote

I use OSX High Sierra...

Hi sampigiampi ,

with my German version of InDesign CC 2019 on Windows 10 all PDF export presets are shown in alphabetically order.

So really, that's a specific OSX issue with a specific OSX version. E.g. I cannot see the issue with InDesign CC 2018.1 on OSX 10.11.6.

I'd search the web. Perhaps Apple has fixed this issue together with Adobe in a newer version.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The easiest way to install .joboptions files is inside the app.

In InDesign it goes like this:
Choose from the menu File > Adobe PDF Presets > Define… > Load         and navigate to the file you want to install.

Adobe’s own instructions are here, but you have to scroll down a lot, to the heading "Load PDF presets":
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/exporting-publishing-pdf.html
It took me a long time to find out, as I was searching for "job options", not "presets"…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines