• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for a way to add stroke behind text on alternating lines

Enthusiast ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all! I'm adding comments to a report. I have two columns per page. And I want every other comment to have a light blue stroke behind it (so it looks highlighted). I have assigned styles to the text, so I can click on every other line to add or remove the stroke on every other line. But it's tedius. I am thinking there's a way to have alternating highlighting. But I can't figure out how to do it. Some comments are two lines and some are one, so the height of each "highlight" can vary. 

I'm attaching a screenshot as an example. 

Thank you for any advice you can give me. 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Seems like this might be done with Paragraph Shading. Make two paragraph styles, one with shading and one without, and set the each as the next style for the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like this might be done with Paragraph Shading. Make two paragraph styles, one with shading and one without, and set the each as the next style for the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or convert the text to a table and create a table style that shades every other row.

~Barb

text to tbl.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could do a table, but now I'm intrigued by Peter's response. How would I set each style as the next style for the other? I haven't heard of that. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This explains how the Next Style attribute works.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-how-to-use-the-next-style-attribute/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a tutorial on "Next Style" and it works great! Thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Personally, I avoid tables whenever possible. Too many hassles and you can't break mid-cell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines