• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Losing image performance even though I imported them from PDF - help!

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2019 Apr 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I started using indesign about 3months ago and even though it is quite easy to use I have one recurrent problem:

on many of my documents, when I import photos/pdf photos to an indesign document, when I save my document several times the image performance is lost.

I tried to go on the view panel to increase the performance/image quality but it does not work, I really have no idea how I could have to quality back.

(I have to import them all one by one when this happens, it is very time consuming)

Thank you for your help!

Agathe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Hello,

I just read your 2nd article, I did not know I could access the Links panel, but it worked!

I had to click on the red question mark icon and reedit the links (screenshot down below) and the image performance was back.

I am guesssing the reason why it was becoming blurry out of nowhere was because the links were lost

I didn't know I could do that   Hopefully it will work for all my documents now

Thank you very much for your help and reactivity!

Agathe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[moved from Adobe Creative Cloud to InDesign]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

which version of InDesign and Operating System?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am using the 2019 indesign cc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to use the right clic on the image frame and choose the display performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did but unfortunately it does not work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Agathe:

I'm not clear if you are dealing with a display performance Issue or an issue with low resolution files. If it really is a display performance issue see Adobe InDesign: Display Performance Controls—They’re Everywhere! – Rocky Mountain Training. Note that since this article was written, InDesign will default to Typical Performance on a low-res display, but to High Quality on a high-res display.

It could be that you simply have low resolution files and didn't realize it. If High Quality Display doesn't achieve the effect you want see Adobe InDesign: Why Do my Images Look So Bad? – Rocky Mountain Training.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, I am not sure if it is a indesign problem or if my files are low resolution but when I import them they are good quality and after about a day or so (or a few saving) they blur themselves... I do not know if it is my files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Agatha:

Did you get a chance to read the posts I linked to? The second one shows you how to see if you have low res files by examining the Links panel. Let’s us know what your Links panel indicates.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just read your 2nd article, I did not know I could access the Links panel, but it worked!

I had to click on the red question mark icon and reedit the links (screenshot down below) and the image performance was back.

I am guesssing the reason why it was becoming blurry out of nowhere was because the links were lost

I didn't know I could do that   Hopefully it will work for all my documents now

Thank you very much for your help and reactivity!

Agathe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Agathe:

We are always happy to help.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Barb's useful comments, check your system requirements and note 16GB of RAM is recommended. You state you're Placing PDFs of photographs, if they are in Photoshop it might be better to Place PSD files.

Again, as mentioned, it would be helpful to have details of your version of InDesign and OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you, I only have the photos in pdf (I am not using photoshop) and I am using a windows and the 2019 indesign version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AgatheRenard  wrote

(I have to import them all one by one when this happens, it is very time consuming)

Hi Agathe,

Just to check — when this happens, does your Links panel show either yellow triangles or red circles by the images?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e​

Hello,

No it does not show anything, is that normal?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines